Other County Histories | Civil War | 1913 Vol. 1 | 1913 Vol. 2 | 1916 | Depression |
History of Livingston County
from The History of Caldwell and Livingston Counties, Missouri.  1886

Table of Contents

Previous Chapter

Next Chapter




Position - Early History - Original Land Entries - Organization - Some Incidents of the War Period - Country Churches - Farmersville -- Miscellaneous Notes - Biographical.

Cream Ridge township comprises all that portion of Livingston county lying between Medicine township and East Grand river, and the line between Congressional townships 58 and 59, and Grundy county. It includes, therefore, a portion of ranges 23 and 24.

The township is well supplied with water-courses. Grand river runs along the western boundary, then a few miles to the eastward are Honey creek and its tributaries, while in the eastern part of the township runs Medicine creek, all flowing in a general direction from north to south. Crooked and Grassy creeks run into Honey creek, and the latter empties into Grand river in the southwestern corner of the township.


The first settler in what is now Cream Ridge township was Francis Preston, who, in February, 1838, located on Crooked creek, in the southwestern portion of the township (sw. sec. 19-59-23), about eight miles north of Chillicothe. Josiah Austin settled about a mile north of Preston in 1839. Gabriel May and Solomon R. Hooker came to the same locality in 1840 or 1841.

The land here did not come into market until about 1840, and the greater portion of the first entries were made in January and February of that year. A great deal divas taken up by non-residents for speculation. The first entries made by actual citizens of the county, are here given, with descriptions and dates of entry and names of those entering the lands:


Name Description Date
Nova Zembla Johnson sw. sec. 6, w. ½ ne. sec. 7, and pt. of sec. 8 1840
Josiah Austin e. ½ sw. ¼ sec. 18 Jan. 16, 1840
Francis Preston sw. sec. 19 and nw. sec. 30 Jan. 16, 1840
Francis Preston w. ½ nw. ¼ sec. 32 Jan. 16, 1840
C. H. Ashby & S. T. Crews sw. ¼ and w. ½ se. sec. 31 Jan. 16, 1840


Name Description Date
John F. Austin sw. sec. 1 Jan. 28, 1840
M. F. Tredway n. ½ ne. sec. 2 Aug. 31, 1840
James Leeper ne. ½ ne. and e. ½ sw. sec. 3 Dec. 8, 1841
Elizabeth Crawford s. ½ nw. sec. 3 Jan. 29, 1842
Willis Atkinson w. ½ sw. sec. 3 Jan. 28, 1840
Lyman Dayton ne. se. sec. 4 Feb. 14, 1840
Richard Dicken se ne. sec. 11 Mar. 11, 1842
Joseph Hughes e. ½ ne. sec. 35 Jan. 28, 1840
Jesse Newlin w. ½ se. sec. 35, w. ½ and se. 36 Jan. 28, 1840
C. H. Ashley e. ½ se. sec. 35 Jan. 28, 1840
J. M. Newlin sw. ne. sec. 36 Feb. 10, 1840

The James Leeper mentioned actually resided in what is now Grundy county, but in 1841 there was no Grundy county; all its territory was embraced in Livingston. This Mr. Leeper came to be known as "Grundy Jim," as distinguished from the old sheriff and clerk of Livingston.

The first marriage ceremony in the township was performed at the residence of Francis Preston on the occasion of the marriage of his daughter Margaret to Geo. P. Pullian. The first death was that of an old slave woman, named Susan, or, as she was commonly called, "Sookey," who belonged to Mr. Preston. The well known pioneer circuit rider, Rev. Reuben Aldridge, preached the first sermon in the township, at the residence of Mr. Preston, whose house was a place of general resort in early days. David Wright was the first school teacher in the neighborhood.


Cream Ridge township was organized us a municipal township May 13, 1857, on petition of Thos. Crooks and others. The territory was taken off of the northeast corner of Chillicothe township. The original township comprised all of township 59, range 23, and that part of township 59, range 22, lying in this county. In other words the western boundary was the line between ranges 23 and 24; the eastern was the Linn County line; the southern, the line between townships 58 and 59, and the northern was the Grundy county line. Subsequently changes were made in these boundaries until they now are as stated.


It was on section 30-59-23, in the southeast portion of this township, where the two federal soldiers were shot and their throats cut by Lewis M. Best in the fall of 1861. Since the matter was referred to elsewhere, evidence has been received that these two soldiers had enlisted from Southern Iowa in Col. Peabody's Missouri regiment (afterward called the 25th Missouri infantry) and had been taken prisoners at Lexington and paroled by Gen. Price. It is also asserted that they belonged to the 1st Kansas, to the 3d Iowa, to the 2d Iowa, and it is impossible at this time to fix their identity.

They had stolen a horse a piece, one belonging to James Anderson and one to John Lucas, some miles below, and were riding toward Iowa. Best was hidden behind a tree near the road with a double barreled shot gun, a. revolver, and a large bowie knife. He knew the two men were soldiers, but he did not know they had stolen the horses they were riding; it was enough for him that they wore the Federal blue. After shooting them from their horses, he cut their throats and plunged his knife into their bodies repeatedly. He allowed the blood to dry upon his knife blade, and showed it to many persons. The bodies of the soldiers were not given any sort of burial. Dogs and hogs devoured them, and more than a week afterward a dog was found a mile away with a portion of an arm bone. The skulls were stuck on poles, it is by said some of Best's children, and knocked about afterwards, until finally they were lost.

Lewis M. Best was a negro trader, the only one in the county. He kept on hand and at all times a few slaves for sale or trade. He was harsh and brutal by nature, a cruel master, a violent and dangerous man. In California he murdered Dr. Lenox, a former citizen of this county, most wantonly, and made a narrow escape with his life. To be sure the men he killed were horse thieves as well as Federal soldiers, but Best bushwhacked them, because they were soldiers, and seemed to delight at what he had done more on that account, than because they had taken the two horses.

In 1862 the Federal militia perpetrated outrages upon some citizens of Southern proclivities in this township. The old pioneer Solomon R. Hooker was shot and wounded by some unscrupulous fellows, and then carried out of doors and his house burned. Mr. Marlow's house was also burned. Both were accused of feeding and giving aid to bushwhackers, but even if this charge was true, it would seem that some other punishment might have been inflicted.


New Providence Cumberland Presbyterian Church - Was organized February 17, 1855, with the following members: Elisha Francis, Polly Francis, Wm. F. McGee, Sarah McGee, Mary K, McGee, Elizabeth Ward, C. W. Ward, Orpheus Ward, Caroline Ward and others. The church building was constructed in 1876 at a cost of $1,300. It is a frame and is situated near Cream Ridge Center, in Cream Ridge township. The pastors have been Revs. John E. Nevins, Wiley Clark, Robert Speer, J. W. French, Henry Tharp, R. Crichfield, E. S. Riggins, J. N. Riggins, Thomas Montgomery and P. W. Wynne. The church has always been remarkably prosperous; even during the Civil War it missed but one appointed meeting. There are about 75 members. The Sabbath-school attached to the church has 84 members, Henry Ward being the superintendent.

St. Paul M. E. Church South. - The exact date of the organization of this church has not been obtained, but it was either in the year 1868 or 1869, and was erected by Rev. Hatfield. It labored un-many disadvantages until the year 1881, when Rev. Marshall Gregory came on the circuit; it then became more prosperous. The original members were Sarah McGee, Isabella Austin, Louisa Austin, Elizabeth Mace, Mrs. Lilley, Mary Hill and A. C. Hill, who was the only male member in the organization. In the summer of 1874 a frame building, with stone foundation, was erected, which cost $1,850. The building committee was composed of A. C. Hill, J. T. Selby, E. L. Treadway and A. Turner; W. Snyder was the contractor. The pastors have served as follows: A. J. Worley, W. E. Dockery, Henry Bolin, R. H. G. Charman, H. H. Craig, Ward Maggard and Rev. Mr. Carney. Present membership, 44. The Sunday-school has an average attendance of 40; Michael Broyle, superintendent. The church building stands on the se. cor. of the se. ¼ of section 18-59-23.

Union Church (Baptist). - The organization of this church is one of the oldest in the county, dating from the year 1840. It was originally called Chillicothe Church, and the first members were Isaiah Austin, Francis Preston, James Peniston, Elizabeth Peniston, Elijah Merrell, James Merrell, Wm. Garwood, Thos. Williams, Nancy Williams and Z. Williams, they having received letters from the Washington Baptist Church. At first meetings were held at the houses of the members, but in 1844 a log church was built, and the name changed from Chillicothe to Macedonia. In 1858 the name was changed to Union. The present house of worship, a frame, costing $1,400, was built in 1874; it stands on the southwest corner of the se. ¼ section 30-59-23, about seven miles north of Chillicothe. Some of the pastors have been Elijah Merrell, Henry M. Henderson, Edward Benson, James Black, W. W. Walden, C. Martin, and James Turner. The present number of members is 76. J. K. Steen is superintendent of the Sabbath-school.


The hamlet of Farmersville stands on the county line but was laid out on the ne. ¼ of section 1, township 59, range 24, wholly in this township. It was laid off and platted in January, 1870, by Joseph King and others. J. E. Jimeson was the surveyor. The following description of the village in 1880 was made by a resident: -

Farmersville is a sprightly little village, situated north of Chillicothe fourteen miles, on the State road leading to Trenton in Grundy county. Its inhabitants number about one hundred souls, and are an energetic, go-ahead class of people, coming mostly from Northern and Eastern States. The town is located in a thickly settled country, in the midst of the most beautiful and fertile lands to be found in Livingston county.

The Methodist and Christian denominations each have beautiful edifices, the Rev. H. C. John is pastor of the former and the Rev. W. Mack, pastor of the latter. Both houses of worship have good and increasing memberships under the charge of their respective pastors.

We have a good school building and a good school under the supervision of Miss Annie Stewart, whose management gives universal satisfaction. We have a Masonic Lodge with a good membership, two general stores, one kept by Mr. Wm. Price, also proprietor. of the flouring mill on Fox creek, east of town, who is doing a successful and lively trade, while the polite and genteel Helf Bros. are proprietors of the other, and are doing an unusually good business. Mr. Fred W. Helf is a gentleman who has charge of the mails and affairs of Uncle Sam, and is located under the Masonic hall, in the store of the Helf Bros. We have also two wagon, blacksmith and repair shops, Mr. Richard Garr and Mr. J. Palmer are the respective proprietors. Both are good workmen and have all they can do in their line of business. Mr. S. L. Livengood is our carpenter, builder and contractor, and is doing a successful and extensive business.

We have a magnificent farming country, rich fertile lands, and would say to those contemplating a change of location, that it will repay them to come and see the country around the village of Farmersville. We have plenty of timber, plenty of water and any amount of the best lands at from $10 to $25 per acre.


Farmersville M. E. Church. - This church was organized in 1867. Leonard Cunningham, Jeremiah Mulford, Daniel Wolfe and wife, Amaziah Beeson, Wesley Jarvis and wife, J. Cunningham and wife, Elijah Windsor and wife were some of the original members. The church building, a frame structure, was erected at a cost of $1,300, in 1877. The pastors have been Revs. Wm. Edmunds, John Rozelle, T. B. Hales, - Bovee, C. H. Johns, Frank Davis, - Ely, and A. Bundy. The membership is 52. The Sabbath-school has a membership of 40, George Glover being superintendent of the school.

Farmersville Christian Church. - In 1872, the Christian Church, a neat frame building costing $1,000, was erected in Farmersville, and in 1873 an organization which had some time previous been formed in Grundy county reorganized in the net building. Some of the first members were James Mack, Geo. W. Kinney, John Eccles, Samuel Eccles, Wm. Slonecker, Clifton Evans and Lemuel Woods. Revs. James Mack and - Lovelace have ministered to the spiritual needs of the church since its reorganization. There are at present writing, about 50 members.



(Farmer and Stock-raiser, Post-office, Farmersville).

Among other native born citizens of that State whom Kentucky has contributed to Cream Ridge township, Livingston county, Mo., may be mentioned John M. Alexander, who was born in Todd county, January 1, 1827, his parents being Andrew and Jane Alexander, Virginians by birth, who settled in the Blue Grass State in 1822; the mother died in 1847 and the father in 1876. John M. had three sisters: Julia, Elizabeth and Mary Ariminta, all of whom are now deceased. He remained on the home farm in his native State until March, 1854, and on February 14, 1854, was married to Miss Virginia E. Brizendine, daughter of Francis and Catherine Brizendine, who became settlers of this county in 1865. She was born October 17, 1838, in the same county as her husband, and was one of four children, the others being: Robert Dodridge, of Ottumwa, Ia.; Ellen, in Chillicothe; and George, now deceased. About a month after his marriage Mr. Alexander came to Missouri, reaching Liberty in June, and spent some two months in traveling over this portion of the country, visiting Kansas City during the first sale of town lots, and after this returned to Ballard county, Ky. In May, 1855, he and his wife again started for this State in a buggy and after passing through a number of towns reached Chillicothe, then a place of some 200 inhabitants, and with but two brick buildings, one of which was the court-house. He first lived upon a farm six miles east of town which he purchased, but coming back to Chillicothe erected the first house on the property now occupied by Garrett's store. Subsequently he improved and purchased other property and finally settled where he now resides 13 miles, northeast of the county seat. Mr. and Mrs. A. have eight children living: Virginia Ellen, born August 18, 1856, wife of James Teeters; George D. Prentis, born May 11, 1860, and married to Lillie Miller; Andrew Francis, born October 21, 1863; Charles Augustus, born November 20, 1865; Frederick Clarence, born January 15, 1870; Minnie Belle, born July 20, 1873; Ollie Pearl, born March 24, 1876, and Leo Ion, born March 22, 1879. John William, Edward Robert, and four children that died in infancy are numbered among the dead. For 7 years Mr. Alexander served in an official capacity as county commissioner of deeds and deputy county clerk of the county. He was a member of the first board of school directors in Chillicothe, a fact which he remembers with interest. He is now closely associated with the agricultural interests of this county; during the last few years he has gained wide experience by traveling through the Territories and Old Mexico, besides Texas and the South. On his place he now has growing specimens of raspberries obtained from Mt. Harvard, in Colorado, at an elevation of 14,464 feet which bear fruit all summer and are in bloom when frost comes. Many other specimens from each of the Western States are found upon the place.


(Owner and Proprietor of Walnut Bluffs Farm).

There are few farms, if any, in this portion of Missouri that present a handsomer picture of advanced agriculture than the one referred to in the present sketch. Walnut Bluff's farm, devoted mainly to stock raising, contains 1,000 acres all under fence and in an exceptionally fine state of improvement, and as a stock farm, both in natural advantages and the manner in which it is improved, it is probably without a superior hereabouts. It is but to be supposed that Mr. Baker would have a class of stock on his farm worthy of the expense and labor involved in preparing it for stock-raising purposes, and so some excellent registered animals are found upon the place. The following registered cattle were purchased from Eastman & Jacobi, of Palmyra, Mo.: Sidona, of Greenfield, pedigree traced back to the herd of Henry Clay, Jr., of Kentucky; Edonia, registered number 13,652, A. H. B., vol. 18; Sidonia 2d, number registered in same volume; Oneida Belle and Duke of Maywood. His high grade stock has been bred from a short-horn male animal, Cass, brought from Illinois by John C. Wright, and a heifer, bred and purchased from P. H. Miner, of Chillicothe. From the above one of the finest herds in North Missouri has been produced. Mr. B. also has a fine thoroughbred horse, Young British Champion, an English conch animal, and a high bred horse, bred by Crawford of Edinburgh, and known as the Printer stock, a registered breed in Kentucky. His registered Berkshire hogs were purchased of John Morris of Livingston county, and his good graded flock of sheep are a cross between Cotswold and Merino. Mr. Baker was born in Kingston, Canada. One of his paternal ancestors, Henry Baker (originally Beeker), came to America from Neiwitt, Prussia, in about 1790, at the age of 18, and subsequently married Miss Elizabeth Miller, of German parentage, who bore him seven children. He was a man of good education and excellent business habits. One of his sons, John Baker, was born in Kingston, Canada, in 1803 (and at the battle of Kingston, he, with other school children, carried cannon halls to serve the cannons that were defending the town), and at the age of 22 married Christiana McArthur, of Cornwall, Canada, whose father, Donald McArthur, came originally from the Highlands of Scotland. In 1836 he went to Cleveland, O., and died there in 1874, at the age of 70 years, leaving eight children: John, Peter W., William A., Edward D., Charles R., Christina, Elizabeth and Henry. The latter was married in Licking county, O., on June 25, 1861, to Miss Mary A. Knowlton, daughter of L. W. Knowlton, a prominent and public-spirited citizen of Utica, O., and one of the incorporators of the first railroad in Ohio, now the Erie branch of the Baltimore and Ohio Railroad. Mr. Baker remained in Cleveland, O., until 1864, when he purchased his present valuable estate. Further comment to what has already been said is unnecessary. Mr. Baker and wife have had six children: Leigh K., a student at Wooster (0. ) University; Lawrence McA., died June 16, 1867; William H., Grace E., Donald and Birdie. Mr. Baker is a member of the Presbyterian Church. He is extensively interested in the development of improved methods in agricultural life, and securing the best results attainable in that line.


(Steward of the County Poor Farm, Post-office, Farmersville).

It has only been about a year that Mr. Barker has had charge of the Poor Farm of this county, but sufficient time has elapsed to indicate his fitness for the position, certainly a most humane one, as well as one of responsibility. He came originally from Clarke county, O., where he was born July 5, 1840, one of six children in the family of his parents, Crawford and Eliza Barker. His father was of Scotch-English origin, though born and reared in Virginia, while the mother was a native of Clarke county, O. Their children besides Clayton S. were Marcellus, now deceased, who married Nancy Ann McAfee. He left, two children: James, of Brown county, Ill.; Hiram, who married Hannah Lear, and they have six children; Sarah, wife of John Toll, of Decatur county, Kan., and they have six children; and George W., who married Jane Whitehead, who has borne him three children. Clayton S. Barker was married after reaching manhood, February 22, 1869, to Miss Mary, second daughter of Perry and Eliza Hewlett; she had ten brothers and sisters, as follows: Taylor, who married Lydia Hayward, and they have seven children; Catherine, wife of Haydon Henry, and the parents of two children; Katy Jackson, who married Emma Molby, which union has resulted in five children: Joseph, who died when four years old; Ellen, now Mrs. Barton Stivers, and they have had four children; Annie, now in Illinois; Perry, who married in that State also; Isadore, living with her parents; two children died in infancy. When but two years old Mr. Barker was taken by his parents to Macon county, Ill., and in 1857 they removed to Brown county, which was their home until 1872. Going to one of the central counties, of Missouri, they stayed there two years, lived in Sullivan county a like period, went thence to Butler county, Kan., and two years after came to this county in 1878, and this has since been his place of residence, one of the representative persons of this vicinity. He was among the first to answer the call for troops to suppress the rebellion, enlisting August 22, 1861, in Co. C, 6th Illinois cavalry, commanded by Col. Cavanaugh. A detailed account of the engagements and encounters in which this command were engaged would be of sufficient interest to fill a volume, but the space to which this sketch is limited prevents more than a passing notice. Four years and two months were spent by them in active, severe service, and after having taken part in nearly 100 battles they were mustered out with but 17 of the original members, all the officers having been lost. Mr. Barker soon returned to Illinois, resumed farming, etc., later coming here, as stated. Himself and wife have five children: Ollie May, born March 8, 1870; Thomas Perry, born April 15, 1872; Archer Crawford, born August 17, 1874; Walter, born August 24, 1881, and Clayton, born November 16, 1885. Rosa, who was born February 4, 1878, died June 6, 1881.


(Physician and Surgeon, Farmersville).

The father of Dr. Clark, Lewis M. Clark, is well remembered by the citizens of this county, and a short sketch of his life is rendered very appropriate in this connection. Born in Randolph county, N. C., June 7, 1805, of Scotch-Irish descent, he went to Franklin county, Ind., in 1826, and was married in June, 1829, to Miss Mary Pond, of Metamora, Ind., and originally from near Penn Yan, N. Y. He emigrated to Livingston county-October 2, 1840. In their family were 11 children: John K., the eldest; Eliza Eads, deceased; Phebe C., Robert R., Mary Ann Mellon, a widow; Kate Benson, who married Levison Benson, she and her husband dying but 10 days apart, in Grand Round Valley, Ore.; Samuel and Henry, deceased; Susie, became Mrs. William Smith, and is now deceased; Wiley died when five years old; and Sarah, wife of Daniel Beamer, is still living. In 1861 Mr. Clark was again married (his first wife being dead), to Sophronia Smith, and to them eight children have been given, four of whom survive. He was by calling a farmer, and also an auctioneer of considerable reputation, and in an official capacity became well known to the citizens of Livingston county. He was appointed by the Governor of Missouri to fill out an unexpired term as sheriff; and was once elected to the office of county assessor. A man of more than ordinary energy and force of character, his judgment was sought after by all who knew him, and he had the respect of all. He died January 2, 1885, at the age of 79. His last wife still survives and resides in Jackson township, this county. Mr. Clark was primarily a Republican in politics, but at the time of his death was a Greenbacker. He was a member of Friendship Lodge No. 89, A. F . and A. M., and was also connected with the Baptist Church. John K. Clark owes his nativity to Franklin county, Ind., where he was born August 13, 1830. Until 18 years old he passed his time on a farm, then learning the blacksmith trade, at which he worked until 1859. In the meantime he had commenced the study of medicine and from this period on he devoted himself to a thorough preparation in that science. Finally he was enabled to commence practicing, his first field of labor being at Spring Hill, Mo. July 18, 1850, Mr. Clark had been married to Mildred Ann Goben. April 5, I862, he enlisted as a private in Co. H, 3d M. S. M., and served until his discharge for disability April 1, 1863, participating in the battle of Springfield, Mo., January 8, 1863 when Marmaduke was defeated. At different times he acted as post surgeon of the command. Since the war Dr. C. has been actively and successfully engaged in the prosecution of his professional duties. After leaving Spring Hill he came to Farmersville, Mo., and for eight years has been located here. He is a graduate of the Missouri Medical College, and holds a profound reverence for his Alma Mater. His first wife was the daughter of Levi F. Goben, and she died August 27, 1857, leaving three children, only one of whom, J. W., a watchmaker and jeweler, of Brookfield, is still living. The doctor's second wife was Permelia Ann Moseley, daughter of' James S. Moseley, of Buckingham county, Va., whom he married February 18, 1858. Mr. Moseley was an early settler of this county and died here in 1879. He had 13 children, seven now living. Dr. and Mrs. C. have two children: Everett J., a watchmaker and jeweler of St. Joseph, Mo., and James L., a graduate of' the Missouri Medical College, having graduated March 2, 1886. Dr. J. K. Clark is now master of Farmersville Lodge No. 388, A. F. and A. M. He has been an active and prominent Greenbacker ever since the organization of that party, and in other affairs being those of a professional nature he has been a leader in this community. He now owns 200 acres of land, besides his residence in Farmersville. He belongs to the M. E. Church South.


(Farmer and Stock-raiser, Section 30, Post-office, Chillicothe).

William R. Edrington was born in Adair county, Ky., February 9, 1839, the eldest son of Benjamin and Emily Edrington, both also natives of the Blue Grass State, the father of English descent and the mother of Scotch-Irish origin. They came to Missouri in 1843 but in the spring of 1844 returned to Kentucky; in 1850 he again removed to Missouri, only remaining, however, up to April, 1865, then settling permanently at his old home, where his death occurred May 23, 1881. His wife died in 1869 in the same county. Fourteen children were given them, eight of whom survive: Mary Malinda, wife of John M. Spears, of near Avalon, this county, and they have five children; Benjamin Thomas, county clerk of Hill county, Tex.; Delowvos Leslie, farmer and deputy circuit clerk of Adair county, Ky., and married to Sarah McQuerter, who has borne him three children; Rewel Page, married to Ada Files, and they have three children; Alice, wife of Geo. A. Willis, of Adair county, is the mother of two children; Susan, now Mrs. Parker Nally, of Adair county, and they have one child; and Emma, wife of' D. Goode, and one child is in their family. William R., the subject of this sketch, accompanied his parents to Missouri in 1843, returned the next year and then in 1850 became a citizen of this county, where his home has since been. He subsequently married Frances A. Best, born in this county, July 6, 1844, the daughter of Louis M. and Rachel Best, both Kentuckians by birth, who came to Missouri in an early day, first settling on the Platte Purchase act in 1842 coming to this county; the father died while on a business trip to Lafayette county in 1863, the mother dying here in 1882. Of the nine children born to them, five survive: Elizabeth, wife of James L. Marlow, who died in 1871; they had nine children; Dinelia, wife of L. B. Carter, who died in 1876; nine children blessed their union; Louis M. married Samantha Suiter and they have six children; and Jane, wife of Truman Jeffrey, by whom she has had seven children. Mr. Edrington has made two trips to the Rocky Mountains and one to California. April 26, 1860, he left Chillicothe and passed through a number of exciting and thrilling incidents, finally reaching the Sacramento Valley, and returning to Chillicothe after an absence of three years. Space forbids an extended recital of this most interesting journey. In 1865 he again crossed the plains, reaching Lathrop, Cal., July 1st, and on October 19th, started home, which he reached the Christmas following. Here he has since remained, occupied in Arming and stock-raising, his excellent homestead containing 160 acres, besides which he has 40 acres of good pasture. Convenient buildings, dwelling, barn, etc., are upon the place, and everything indicates the abode of thrift and enterprise, and such characteristics Mr. E. is acknowledged to possess.


(Physician and Surgeon, Post-office, Cream Ridge).

The subject of this sketch is the son of one of the most worthy men ever engaged in professional life, one whose own life was given as a sacrifice, almost, for the good of others. John Boyd Foster, M. D., father of Thomas W., was born in Pennsylvania, in July, 1812, of Irish descent, and in 1836 was married to Miss Lois Albina Hunt. Commencing the study of medicine as his profession, he graduated from the Ohio Medical College at Cincinnati and the Jefferson Medical College of Philadelphia, went to Breckinridge county, Ky., in 1843 and continued the practice of this science until his death in January, 1860, the result of over exertion and exposure while visiting his patients. An unusually quiet man, he was at the same time one of decided intellectual ability; in connection with his medical career he was a minister in the M. E. Church, a writer and teacher of music, and a thorough classical scholar, having six diplomas. At one time he was also a student at law, associated with Henry D. Curtis, though he abandoned that calling for the practice of medicine. He was ever ready to obey the call of all classes and in truth a physician of sound, thorough learning and experience. These traits of character have been transmitted in a large degree to his son Thomas, who began the study of the profession of medicine on his eighteenth birthday. He was born January 3, 1840, at Georgetown, Pa,, one of 10 children in his parents' family, 4 of whom survive: Milton and William Cullen reside with their mother in Grand Rapids, Mich., and John Boyd lives in Kentucky. Thomas W. pursued his studies with assiduity for 9 years before practicing part of the time under Drs. Henry Trigg and W. H. Dougherty, attending the Ohio Medical College in the years 1867 and 1868, and receiving his diploma in the latter year. June 16, 1863, he was married to Miss Louisa J. Davis, who was born September 5, 1842, the only daughter of John Davis, of Scott county, Ky. Her parents came to Missouri in 1865 and here the father died in March, 1878, and the mother in September, 1877. Three of the 12 children born of this marriage are living: Lois A., born January 20, 1869; Bertram, born December 23, 1871; and Rose Ethel, born December 23, 1873. In 1868 Dr. Foster came to this county and has since been actively and successfully engaged in practice, being regarded as one of the foremost citizens of the community. He resides upon his farm of 260 acres near Cream Ridge. A member of the M. E. Church South, he is also a Knight Templar in the Masonic Order.


(Farmer and Stock-raiser, Post-office, Chillicothe).

Among the younger members of the agricultural community of this county there are none more deserving of mention than Thomas H. Gibson, as the facts here given will prove, and on this account no less than owing to his being a native-born citizen, he is accorded a worthy place in this volume. His birth occurred in this county October 11, 1856, the fourth son of six children in the family of his parents, his mother having been formerly Tabitha Ballinger. The father was a Virginian by birth, born January 4, 1824, and when a boy he located with his parents in Boone county, Mo., there learning the trade of a carpenter and builder, at which he worked, in connection with farming, until 1849. Coming thence to Livingston county, he followed his chosen calling in Chillicothe, and by economy and industry succeeded in securing n comfortable place where his children now reside, 10 miles north of Chillicothe. His wife as the daughter of Minor Ballinger, of South Carolina, and she bore her husband six children. The youngest, William Sterling, is deceased; Emaline is now Mrs. Jno. W. Mace, of Henry county, Mo.; Sarah Jane married Miles Darr; Mary E., at home: Joshua M., married Lydia Lyle and lives in Henry county. Thomas H. Gibson was married December 31, 1879, to Miss Harriet Jane, eldest daughter of O. P. Mace; the latter, of Virginia nativity, removed to Missouri when a boy, and married Barbara Allen, of Sullivan county, who bore him two children besides Mrs. Gibson: James F., now of Nebraska and Catharine, a resident of Fort Scott, Kan. Her father subsequently married Martha E. Elswick and they had five children: they now live in Pottawatomie county, Iowa; Mr. and Mrs. Gibson have had two children: Earl S., born November 15, 1880, and Greenbury D., born March 2, 1882, died April 19, 1883. In 1885 Mr. Gibson was elected by the Democratic party to the position of township collector, a capacity in which his well known integrity and ability will serve him well. Thus far his duties have been discharged in a manner above reproach, and it requires no gift of prophecy to predict for him a prosperous future. The same might be said of his farming operations. He now resides on the home place of 80 acres and one of the welcome inmates of his home in his estimable mother.


(Farmer and Stock-raiser, Post-office, Chillicothe).

In enumerating the enterprising and progressive agriculturists and stock men of this township, Mr. Hill must not be overlooked. He owes his nativity to Monongalia county, (now) W. Va., where he was born July 7, 1814, of Irish and English origin„and the eldest of seven children in the family of his parents, Joseph and Sarah Hill ( whose maiden name was Houston). The others were George W., of Barton county, Mo.; Elizabeth Robinson, in Monongalia county, W. Va.; Alex. C., also of that county; Sophia, living at Morgan, W . Va.; Joseph Liston, residing near the State line between Pennsylvania and Virginia; Mary, wife of John Van Gilder, of Morgantown, Va. Purnell Hill was 23 years of age when he went to Henry county, Ind., and after remaining there one year he came to Cooper county, Ala., returning to West Virginia in the fall of 1841. of September, 1849, he went to Hancock county, Ill., and in the spring of 1856 he became permanently located in this county, where he has since resided., June 7, 1843, Mr. Hill was married to Miss Bush, eldest daughter of M. G. and Margaret (Wilson) Bush, both Virginians by birth; she was born January 21, 1824, in Lewis county, W. Va., and had the following brothers and sisters: Jane, wife of Geo. S. Holder; George W., now deceased; Samuel M., of Nevada, Vernon county, Mo.; Ira, now deceased; Bercinna, also deceased, and Fernando, living in Texas. M. G. Bush was again married in September, 1845, Miss Amelia Bailey becoming his wife, and to them three children were given: Margaret, now dead; Elizabeth, wife of Albert Rogers, of Collinsville, Texas; and Annie, now deceased, who married Dr. Buster. Mr. and Mrs. Hill have six children: Bercinna, born June 24, 1844, first married to G. F. May and afterwards to Charles P. Fisher; Sarah L., born December 24, 1846, wife of Thurston Belcher; Orlando, born February 19, 1849; Roxanna, born December 31, 1852; Florence Jane, born March 28, 1862, now Mrs. Eli Gregg, of Grundy county, Mo., and George Lee, born November 26, 1866. By trade Mr. Hill is a carpenter, an occupation which he learned himself, and in which, by his own experience, he became well versed. At this he worked until 1858, but since then he has turned his attention solely to agricultural pursuit. In his operations he is meeting with that success which only comes of iudustry, economy and wise, judicial management.



For some forty years or from an early period in the county's history Solomon R. Hooker gave to Livingston county the best energies of his life, is one of its most worthy and respected citizens; and to the community and all among whom he lived the example of a life well and usefully spent and the influence of a character without stain. He came of a family well known in recent years, an own cousin of his being Gen. Joseph Hooker, of military fame. His father was a son of John Hooker, of English and Scotch descent, who came from Scotland in the early settlement of Vermont and located in Windham county, and there it was that Solomon R. was born November 20, 1805, also being reared in that locality. When quite a boy he worked in a bleaching factory and afterwards was engaged in running a hotel a number of years in Boston, Mass., subsequently returning to bis old home at Londonderry, and purchasing a tract of land. In February, 1830, he married Miss Rebecca, only daughter of Robert Parks, a woman of sincere piety and superior literary attainments, and soon after they moved to Tazewell county, Ill., where Mrs. H. died during the summer following. Bowed down with anguish he again went back to Vermont but did not remain long. Upon removing to Ohio he was married in September, 1838, to Miss Lucinda M., daughter of John and Hannah Webber, an own cousin of his first wife, and a lineal descendant of King William IV, of Holland; she was possessed of an excellent education, having taught in various public schools throughout the State, and especially was she well versed in the Scriptures, religion being the guiding principle of her life. She deeply appreciated the value of classical culture. In June, 1839, Mr. and Mrs. Hooker came to this county, locating four miles north of Chillicothe, but this Mr. H. sold in the spring of 1850 intending to go to California; on account of cholera he abandoned this project and bought a place four miles north of his other one, which he cultivated and improved to good advantage. Determination was a marked trait of his character and so was his Christian fortitude and charity, always being willing to help the needy. For 15 years before the breaking out of the war he was postmaster at Grassy Creek. His political proclivities were the cause of his removal from the Post-office. On the night of June 17, 1863, his house was burned by a band of murderous outlaws who had but just shot him; however, he was not killed outright but survived until February 4, 1879, the Masonic fraternity, to which he belonged, conducting his burial. His companion, who had been born in Hampshire county, .Mass., November 20, 1815, survived three years, dying February 11, 1882. Three children are now living of this union, George W., Z. Taylor and Hattie E. These children now occupy the homestead, which contains 320 acres, and everything surrounding the place indicates thrift, prosperity and comfort. It is but the truth to say that nowhere in Livingston county are there to be found persons who are held in higher esteem or better loved than these two brothers and their sister. Mr. George W. Hooker has made two trips to the Rocky Mountains, first in 1863, returning in 1866, and the other in 1882; he came back much improved in health the same year. Solomon R. Hooker and his brother-in-law, Mr. Warren Wate, erected the first frame dwelling in Chillicothe. John E. Hooker, a second son, went to Montana in the spring of 1864, contracted the mountain fever and died September 15th of the same year and was buried near Nevada City, Montana. Mrs. Lucinda M. Hooker was a niece of Col. Weller, who was killed at the Battle of Bunker Hill.


(Farmer and Stock-raiser, Post-office, Cream Ridge).

The subject of this sketch owes his nativity to Miegs county, O., where he was born March 10, 1811, one of 11 children in the family of his parents, Jeremiah and Rhoda (Whit) Mace, both originally from West Virginia, who first settled in Ohio in 1808, remaining there some 13 years. After a subsequent resilience in their native State of 19 years they returned to Ohio and there died, the father in 1841 and his worthy companion in 1855. Seven of their children are still living: Elihu and Isaac, living near Burlington, O.; William, in West Virginia; one brother lives in Linn county, Mo.; Mary, wife of Richard Stolnecker, of West Virginia, and Martha is now Mrs. Elihu McLaughlin, of Ohio. Henry remained with his parents until 24 years of age, his only educational advantages being such as the meager schools of a pioneer day awarded. In 1835, Mr. Mace married Miss Harriet Clementine Gibson, daughter of John and Nancy Gibson, nee Harris, born February 5, 1811, in Nicholas county, Va. After this event Mr. Mace began life for himself as a farmer in Virginia, subsequently removed into Charleston, and engaged in boat building. In 1843 with his wife and four children he came to Missouri, settling in this county in December of that year on a claim which he worked for two years and then sold. Buying land in Sullivan county, he lived upon it some 15 years, but then returned to Livingston county. After two years spent upon the old Bell farm near Chillicothe he purchased the farm where he now lives, nine miles north of town, commencing the erection of a house and the improvement of his land. This place has long been considered one of the representative homesteads in this portion of the county, its surroundings being in full keeping with the enterprise and progressive spirit of its esteemed owner. Mr. Mace has been school director in his district for several terms. For 50 years he has been with his wife a member of the Christian Church, striving to live as near as possible to the tenets of that denomination. Mrs. Mace was one of seven children, the others being Henry and Alexander, now deceased; Elliott and James. in West Virginia; Louisa, wife of John Frame, and Sarah Ann, widow of David Beal, now living in West Virginia. Mr. and Mrs. M. have seven children in their family: Oliver Perry, born October 17, 1835, first married to Barbara Allen, and after her death to a Mrs. Elswick; Benjamin F., born September 5, 1837, married Caroline Perkins; Felix, born March 19, 1839, married Mary E. Cloudas; Elizabeth Sarah, born December 23, 1842; James W., born January 27, 1844, died in infancy; John W., born June 2, 1847, married Emaline Gibson; Henry G., born February 16, 1851, married Elizabeth Bryan, and William E., born October 18, 1853, married Mary E. Towel.


(Farmer and Cattle and Sheep-raiser, Post-office, Cream Ridge).

On his present homestead of 175 acres situated one and a half miles north of Cottonwood Grove, in this township, Mr. Marshall is actively engaged in stock raising in connection with farming, besides giving considerable attention to sheep husbandry. His farm is well adapted to the stock business and is under good cultivation with excellent buildings and other necessary conveniences. Mr. M. was born May 14, 1826, in Westchester county, N. Y., the son of Moses Marshall, his father having been a native of Westchester county, born August 28, 1792. He (Moses) followed farming in connection with his trade of harness making, and in 1835 he went to Enfield, Tompkins county, N. Y., accompanied by James H., then a lad of nine years. August 25, 1813, he had married Miss Lavinia Haight who was born March 7, 1792, and she died February 22, 1874; Mr. M. died February 9, 1854, and their bodies now rest in Union Cemetery, at Enfield Center, N. Y. Five sons and four daughters blessed their happy married life: William resides in Tompkins county, N. Y.; Moses H. is a citizen of Lockport, N. Y.; John H. is now deceased and so is David Lewis; Abigail J. died in infancy; Caroline E. is now Mrs. Jno. H. Willis, of Enfield, N. Y.; Charlotte A. is the wife of Wm. M. Fisher, and Emily married John Halleck, of Spencer, N. Y. James H. was obliged to leave school in boyhood on account of ill health and upon entering a mercantile establishment as clerk he remained there two years, or until 18 years of age, then commencing farming. April 18, 1860, he married Miss Mary A., eldest daughter of Andrew Marshall and Mary Cox, the former of Dutchess and the latter of Westchester county, N. Y. They were a family of Hicksite Quakers, and the parents of five children: Major, now deceased; Wellington died in the Union army during the war; Mary A. was born May 11, 1835; Elizabeth C. first married David Marshall and afterwards Nelson Kellogg. A year after his marriage Mr. Marshall left his father s farm and engaged in the mercantile business at Enfield Center, N. Y., where he remained until the fall of' 1868, then coming to Missouri. A few days after his arrival at Chillicothe he purchased his present place mentioned above. During the first six years of his residence in the township he served as director and clerk ,of his school district; in 1875 and 1876 he was township clerk, and after having served as township treasurer one term he was elected to that once in 1883 by a vote highly complimentary to his personal popularity. Mr. and Mrs. Marshall are members of the M. E. Church at Cream Ridge. They have four children living: Annie Augusta, Arthur G., James H, and Albert Height. Three are deceased, Minnie, Stephen B. and Mary L.


(Farmer and Stock-raiser, Post-office, Cream Ridge).

Nathan M. Martin, a native of Wasington county, Ind., was born May 23; 1838, of Kentucky lineage, his parents, Nathan and Sarah Martin, nee Trimble, originally from the Blue Grass State, having accompanied their respective families to Indiana, where their marriage occurred in 1829. They were both active members of the Presbyterian Church. Politically Mr. Martin was formerly a Whig but afterwards became a Republican in his views. He died in Republic county, Kan., in 1872, his wife having preceded him to the grave in 1861. Ten children were in their family; of these four are deceased: George I., Sarah J. E. (Stone), Amazetta Z. (Benson) and Henrietta C. Of those living John S. resides in Geneseo, Ill., and married Miss Dovey Hamilton; Enoch M. is a citizen of Fairfield, Ia.; Achsa A., wife of Mr. D. W. Hamilton, lives in Republic county, Kan.; James A. married Jennie Gooch and is now a railroad man stationed at Atlantic, Ia.; Mary C. (Hadaway) makes her home in Whiteside county, Ill. Nathan M., the sixth child, while still a boy received his primary education in the common schools in the vicinity of his birthplace, growing up on his father's farm until his twenty-sixth year. In July, 1864, he volunteered his services in the 8th Illinois cavalry and remained in the army until the close of the war, having been in the reserve in the Loudoun Valley, and on several occasions he was in engagements with Mosby's guerrillas. After his discharge in June, 1865, Mr. Martin was interested in railroading as brakeman and conductor until 1875, When he was married to the fourth daughter. of Jacob and Sarah (Young) Bolger, one of eight children. The oldest child living, Susan (Benson), resides in Illinois, and the other members of the family live with the mother in Guthrie county, Ia. Mr. and Mrs. Martin have five children: Maud, born September 25, 1876; Sylvia S., born April 18, 1878; Guy, born May 18, 1880; Agnes K., born February 17, 1882, and Hugh M., born June 20, 1884. For something over 10 years Mr. Martin has been located in this county, having come here in 1875 and settled on the place which he still occupies. This contains 240 acres and the progress and enterprise shown in its conduct, together with the surroundings about the place, indicate without question the abode of one advanced in his chosen calling and one whose labors are meeting with success.


(Farmer and Stock-raiser, Post-office, Cream Ridge).

Mr. May is a typical Missouri citizen, substantial, enterprising and progressive, and such a man as wields no small influence in the community where he makes his home. He came originally from the "Kingdom of Callaway," so-called, one of the best counties in Central Missouri, where he was born February 27, 1826. Gabriel May, his father, was a Kentuckian by birth, born August 2, 1800, a son of Henry May, of Virginia nativity. The wife of the latter was Nancy Martin, also of Virginia. In 1823 Gabriel May married Elizabeth Craghead, daughter of Robert Craghead, a planter of Bedford county, Va. Five of their 13 children are now living: Sarah, now of Callaway county, widow of Thos. L. Burdette; Nancy, Mrs. Wm. A. B. Craghead; Josephine, now living in Washington Territory, widow of Valentine Bradley; William R. S., married to Mollie Kemp, of Callaway county, and James. The latter removed with his parents to this county in 1848, and here he has since remained. October 27, 1850, he was married to Miss Nancy C. Craghead, daughter of William Craghead, formerly from Virginia, who had five children that are now living: Sarah Jane, residing with Mr. May; Robert P., married to Nancy Hall; Nancy C., born April 9, 1831, wife of Mr. May; Benjamin W. L. C., first married to Margaret Douglass and after her death in 1874 to Mrs. Jennie Sugget, and Nicholas R., who married in 1870 Annie Debo. The latter was a Confederate soldier under Price, was wounded at Wilson Creek, and after recovering served with Hood until his capture; was subsequently paroled and then returned to Callaway county, where he now makes his home. Mr. and Mrs. May have had 11 children, nine of whom are living: William R., born September 4, 1851, married Miss Amanda M. Clow; Mary Ann, born July 30, 1853, married; John J., born February 9, 1855, married Lillah C. Davis; Henry G., born November 25, 1856, now of New Mexico; Nancy E., at home, born May 22, 1858; Thomas J., born January 18, 1860; Jennie born January 23, 1862, wife of Charles B. Wallace (she died June 30, 1885); Hattie F., born January 1, 1864, died October 27, 1865; Charles E., born October 30, 1865; Katie, born February 26, 1868; Ionie, born April 13, 1870. Mr. May's farm is a superior one of 300 acres, well improved and stocked with cattle, horses and sheep. For 12 years past he has been public administrator of the county and has also held the position of justice of the peace, besides being road overseer. His farming operations are conducted in an intelligent manner. He belongs to Friendship Lodge No. 89, A. F. and A. M., was formerly a Democrat of the Jefferson type, but in late years has voted the Greenback ticket. In educational and all other worthy movements he takes commendable interest.


(Farmer and Stock-raiser, Post-office, Cream Ridge).

On the 15th of June, 1840, in Hamilton county, Ill., there was born to Joseph and Nancy (Gray) Rainbolt, a son, whom we now take as the subject of this sketch, the fifth child and second boy of 13 children. The parents were originally from Tennessee and Kentucky, respectively, and at an early date settled in Illinois, going thence to Indiana, and in the spring of 1850 to Schuyler county, Mo., where John C. passed his youth, being favored with but limited chances for acquiring an education. The following are his 12 brothers and sisters: Hamilton, in Schuyler countv; Martha Jane, wife of Osey Harris, of McPherson county, Kan.; Sarilda, Mrs. Noah Bradwell, of Davis county, Ia.; Mary Ann, wife of Chas. Layton, of Schuyler county: Cordelia, of the same locality, now Mrs. Chas. Murry; Jesse, in the Western Territories; Garrison, who died in November, 1883, in Jackson county, Mo.; William, married Jane Botts and lives in Schuyler county, as does also Elisha; Susan is the wife of James Stratton, and Sylvester married Annie Kane, all now residents of Schuyler county; one child, Irena, died in infancy. March 8, 1862, Mr. Rainbolt enlisted under Capt. Edwards in Co. B, 2d Missouri cavalry, and served until March, 1865, most of the time under Gen. McNeal, taking part in the engagements at Cape Girardeau, Kirksville, Mooresville, and many others of no less importance. The war over he returned home and began farming and dealing in stock, also conducting a mill for some time. Since his residence in this county he has become well established as an agriculturist, his valuable farm of 140 acres being conducted in a manner indicating a thorough knowledge of farm labor. His stock interests, too, are bringing him good results. In March, 1867, Mr. Rainbolt was married to Miss Missouri Moreland, who was born December 3, 1851, the second daughter of Daniel and Catherine Moreland, in whose family there were four other children: Mary L., wife of Austin Shelton; Nancy L., now Mrs. William Stratton; William, married Clara Bosier, and Lillie O. Mr. and Mrs. Rainbolt have had five children: Lizzie, born September 28, 1878; William, born January 5, 1880; Nancy, born December 25, 1882, and the last two were born two years apart, though on the same day of the month, one February 26, 1884, and the other February 26, 1886.


(Farmer, Stock-raiser and Dairyman, Post-office, Cream Ridge).

One of the neatest and most homelike places in this township is that owned by Mr. Stowell, containiug 170 acres, well improved, in the center of which is a newly erected and imposing dwelling, commanding a fine view of the surrounding country. In. connection with general farming and the raising of graded and blooded stock, he is also engaged to some extent in the dairy business, in which he is meeting with good success, as indeed he is in all of his transactions. Originally from Madison county, N. Y., he was born May 24, 1824. Lester and Hannah Stowell (formerly Pryor), his parents, were natives of Connecticut, but in about 1790 located in New York and commenced farming. Subsequently the father began the manufacture of potash, marketing this product at Albany, ninety-six miles distant. Truman was the oldest of nine children in their family: of these Charles lives in Dakota, and Andrew in Florida; John was killed at the battle of Gettysburg; Lucinda died in Michigan; Elinor lives in Chillicothe; Emily died in Iowa, and Charlotte lives in Kansas, and Hannah lives in New York. Truman's early life was passed at the carpenter's trade in company with his father, and when 23 years of age he removed to Wisconsin in 1846, following his trade for several years, or until enabled to purchase a farm and commence agricultural pursuits. July 20, 1847, he married a daughter of Sylvester Ketchum, Miss Eunice Ketchum, the youngest of nine children in the family. Five of these are deceased: Richard, William ( who died in the army), Fannie, Lucinda and Abigail. S. W., Levi and Mary are living. Mrs. Stowell was born in Chautauqua county, N. Y., May 8, 1831. In October, 1869, Mr. Stowell came to this county, and has continued to be associated with its interests and welfare. Half of the time since then he has been school director, a position which he also held for eleven years in Wisconsin. He and his wife have twelve children: Lester, born June 22, 1848, and married to Sarah Clark; Charles, born August 4, 1850, his wife, Minnie Wate, now being deceased; Emery, born June 25, 1858; John, born June 19, 1862; Willie, born October 13, 1872; Lavantia, born May 31, 1853, wife of James Souter; Ida, born May 14, 1856, now Mrs. Andrew J. Parkhurst; Alice, born December 1, 1860, wife of William Parkhurst; Kitty, born April 10, 1864; Ella, born March 4, 1866; Hattie, born November 28, 1867; Flora, born December 18, 1869, and Milton Herbert, born July 28, 1875, and died in infancy.


(Farmer and Stock-raiser, Post-office, Farmersville).

One of the most important periods in the life of Mr. Taylor was that passed while in the army. In April, 1861, when about 24 years of age, he enlisted in Co. C, 24th New York infantry, commanded by Capt. Frank Miller, and subsequently took part in a number of severe engagements; space forbids a detailed account of the movements of this command, but suffice it to say that they were never found wanting in the discharge of their duty, and at the second battle of Bull Run out of the regiment of 1,000 men only 120 remained uninjured. On August 14, 1862, at South Mountain, Mr. Taylor received a bullet wound, the ball entering through the left lung and lodging in front of the lungs, where it still remains, an evidence of his loyalty to his country. On account of this injury he was sent to the hospital, subsequently receiving an honorable discharge, but afterwards he so far recovered as to he able to accept the position of first sergeant in Co. I, 184th New York infantry in the fall of 1864, a command with which he remained until his final discharge in June, 1865; during the last year of the war he was on garrison duty at Wilson's and Harrison's landings. Mr. T. now returned to his native State, New York, but on January 8, 1866, came to this State with his wife, whom he had previously married, Miss Sarah E. Calkins, the eldest daughter of Sidney Calkins, now a resident of the vicinity of Chillicothe, Mo. Mrs. Taylor now has one sister, Mrs. John Barker, in Washington Territory, and another, the youngest in the family, remains at home. After locating in Missouri Mr. T. opened out a stock of goods at Alpha, Grundy county, but in August, 1866, he was robbed of nearly his entire property; with what was left he purchased land in this county, where he now resides, 13 miles from Chillicothe, his farm embracing 120 acres, well improved, with necessary buildings, orchard, etc. He has ever taken a warm interest in schools, churches, etc., and is a warm advocate of the temperance cause. Himself and wife have three children: Sidney W., born July 9, 1866; Nellie G., born August 26, 1868, and Albert H., born July 2, 1872. Mr. and Mrs. Taylor are members of the M. E. Church. The former is now only a little past the age of 50 years, having been born October 5, 1835, in Jefferson county, N. Y., of the marriage of his parents, Albert and Hannah ( Wardwell) Taylor, also of the Empire State. The former was a tanner and currier by trade and was twice married, his first wife at her death leaving two children, Wm. H. and Hannah C. Taylor; his second wife was also a widow with one child, Frances Salisbury, now Frances Overton. William's two half-sisters, Hannah (Root) and Mary (Brown), live in New York, and his two half-brothers, E. A. and Adolphus M., are located in Colorado. His step-sister, Frances (Overton), resides at Big Rapids, Mich. In youth Mr. Taylor received his early education in the district schools and afterwards attended the Mexico Academy, in New York, from which he graduated at the age of 20 years; he then taught a term of school in Oswego county, N. Y., and afterwards in Whiteside county, Ill., after which he traveled over a large part of Illinois as a book agent. Subsequently his military record as stated was commenced.


(Farmer and Sheep Grower, Post-office, Farmerville).

Although Mr. Tredway is not yet what may be called a middle-aged man, there is a valuable lesson in his career for young men who have ambitious to rise to prominent and influential positions in life. He its had no advantages that any young man in the land may not have and, indeed, he perhaps suffered greater drawbacks than any of the present generation, at least, can possibly suffer. Born in Coshocton county, O., August 31, 1849, he was the son of Corbin and Mary (Fry) Tredway, the latter a native of Ohio but the former originally from Maryland. He settled in the Buckeye State with his father in 1808, theirs being the first wagon brought into the county in which they located. Ten sons and four daughters, all born in Ohio, blessed this union. Of these Abram now lives in Nebraska; Phrispine was killed by the Indians while in the Government service; Thomas lives in Neosho county, Kan.; Calvin W. also resides in that county; Elijah L. is our subject; Martha Jane died soon after her marriage to Ephraim Flemmings; Elizabeth is now Mrs. Joseph Markley, of Iroquois county, Ill.; Daniel resides in Cowley county, Kan.; Aaron also makes his home in the same locality; Charles was drowned about 1880; William Harry is a citizen of Cowley county, Kan., and so is Reason; Mary is now Mrs. Court Skinner and Nancy married Doc. Cale, these two last named residing in Cowley county, Kan. Up to his twenty-first year Elijah L. remained with his parents and then married a Miss Graham, whose father died when she was 12 years old, leaving five children. In the spring of 1863 Mr. T. moved to Iroquois county, Ill., and remained there some five years, coming next to this county in the spring of 1868 and settling on his present excellent farm of 430 acres 11 miles north of Chillicothe. Until 1879 he gave his attention almost exclusively to farming and the raising of cattle, but in the year mentioned he commenced sheep husbandry, an industry which has reached vast proportions and rendered him one of the most prominent breeders of this stock in this portion of Missouri. His flock of fine wool sheep is the largest in the county and the representative males and females have taken premiums at five different fairs, together with the sweepstakes. At the head of the flock is the famous "Rip Van-Winkle," from which he sheared at two years old 30 pounds and one ounce of wool, his live weight being 117 pounds. Mr. T. also has about, fifty others of the same kind. He and his worthy wife have three children living: Howard, born October 7, 1861; John Franklin, born February 14, 1863, married October 8, 1883, Miss Molly Johns, and they have one child; end Alice, born November 19, 1867; one son,. Grant, is deceased. Mr. T. is a member of the M. E. Church South. It is not an empty compliment to say that he is acknowledged to be one of the foremost men in the entire county of Livingston, esteemed and respected by all.


(Farmer and Stock-raiser, Post-office, Farmersville).

The agricultural affairs of Livingston county and particularly of this township are ably represented among others by the subject of this sketch, who comes of an old established family in this community. Archibald Ward, his father, a Kentuckian by birth, was born in 1790 of Irish origin, and in 1880 was married to Miss Caroline M. G. Webber, of the same State as himself, her birth having occurred March 4, 1800; she was descended from a family well known in the affairs of the Revolutionary war. Nine children were given this worthy family, four only of whom survive: James A., living in Sonoma county, Cal.; Charles W., Joseph and Fayette D., residents of Cream Ridge township. Archibald Ward, upon leaving the Blue Grass State, located in Sangamon county, Ill., remained there until 1837 and then settled in Livingston county, Mo., near Chillicothe, before a house was built in that now flourishing city. He departed this life in 1847, sincerely mourned, for he was a good man, and a zealous and prominent member of the Presbyterian Church. A. great lover of vocal music, he often gathered the young people together to instruct them in this accomplishment. One of his sons, Fayette D., was born in Gallatin county, Ky., February 24, 1826, and was reared to a farm experience in this county. He was married October 20, 1862, to Miss Emily E. Graves, daughter of James C. Graves, of Kentucky parentage. They had one child, Mary F., born December 29, 1864, wife of Orliff Garr, of this township. Mrs. Ward, dying March 4, 1865, he was again married October 18, 1867, to Miss Mary E. Minor, whose father, Joel Minor, of Cream Ridge township, came formerly from Kentucky to Illinois, thence to Iowa and from there to Missouri. Five of his ten children are now living in Livingston county. Mr. and Mrs. Ward have had five children, three of whom survive and make their home with their parents. They belong to the Cumberland Presbyterian Church, the former having been a member for 35 years. Though no political aspirant he favors the Republican party. He owns 300 acres of valuable land and devotes all his time and energies to the improvement and cultivation of his comfortable and substantial homestead.


(Farmer and Stock-raiser, Section 30, Township 59, Range 23, Post-office, Chillicothe).

For over eighteen years Mr. Wate has been a resident of this township or county, and long ago did he gain for himself the reputation of being an agriculturist of decided merit. It seems doubtful if it could have been otherwise, for he came originally from a locality where farming and kindred pursuits are carried on according to advanced ideas and customs. His parents were Warren and Mary (Hooker) Wate, both natives of Londonderry, Vt., the latter being an aunt of Col. George W. Hooker. Prentis was one of eight children, and of this number he is the only one now living. Their names were: Warren, who was accidentally drowned in Grand river; Mary Ann F., Maria E., Abigail, Joseph C., Prentis, John R. and Solomon. He was the fifth child and third son, and was born in Londonderry, Vt., January 23, 1834. His first schooling was received in a log cabin in this county when he was five years old, his parents having come to Missouri in the spring of 1838, and soon settled in Livingston county. He continued to remain on the old family homestead until 10 years of age, learning thoroughly the details of farm life, and with his family he went to Texas in 1844, and about 1854 to Tipton, Ia., being engaged with his father in the mercantile business there, under the firm name of W. Wate & Son, for 11 years. On account of the war they disposed of their interests in this establishment, the senior Wate going to Canada and Prentis visiting Montana, from whence he returned in 1867 to this county. Previous to this, March 1, 1864, he was married to Mrs. C. S. Hicks, daughter of Lee and Lydia Wate, nee Stearns, descendants of a Scotch family; the paternal grandfather was Maj. Wate, of Revolutionary fame, and the great-uncle of Mr. Wate's father was killed while attempting to escape from a British fort. Mrs. Lydia Wate's father, Ashel Stearns, was also in the Revolutionary War; her grandmother, Captivity Johnson, was born while her mother was a captive among the Indians on the borders of Lake Champlain. Mrs. Prentis Wate accompanied her husband on his trip to Montana, above referred to, and were it not for the space to which we are necessarily limited, an interesting account of their journey might here be given. Suffice it to say that they reached Virginia City in safety, and upon their return visited several Eastern localities before settling permanently on their present homestead. Here Mr. W. has over 228 acres in one farm and 14 acres in another near Chillicothe. He is now serving as director and clerk of his school district, being especially interested in educational matters.

Table of Contents

Previous Chapter

Next Chapter