Other County Histories | Civil War | 1913 Vol. 1 | 1913 Vol. 2 | 1916 | Depression |
History of Livingston County
from The History of Caldwell and Livingston Counties, Missouri.  1886

    Table of Contents

    Previous Chapter

    Next Chapter

    Home

    CHAPTER XVII.

    MOORESVILLE TOWNSHIP

    Position and Description -- Coal - Stone - Soil -- Early History -- First Land Entries - Tragedies of the Civil War - Organization -- The Town of Mooresville - General Historical Sketch -- Murder of Brock and Bloom -- Churches -- Secret Orders -- Mineral Springs -- Biographies.

    Mooresville municipal township comprises that portion of Congressional township No. 57, range 25, lying south of Grand river, except in the east line of sections and fractional parts of sections 31 and 32 in the township 58 - 25. The northeastern and northwestern and southwestern portions are timbered and hilly lands, in some places bluffy and broken. The south-central and southeastern portions are the best in the township and contain many fine fertile farms.

    There is plenty of timber, water, coal, and stone in this township. A twenty-inch vein of bituminous coal, of fair quality, is exposed on the farm of C. W. Garlich (ne. sec. 8), and has been mined to some extent. It is claimed that there is a three-feet vein of excellent coal on section 10, of the same formation and quality as the coal at Hamilton, but it has not been developed or worked. This valuable mineral also exists at Mooresville, and in other parts of the township. The time is not far distant when the coal interests of this township will be fully developed and doubtless prove of great value.

    The limestone in this township is very abundant and first-class in quality. Perhaps the largest and best quarry is that on the farm of Z. Kirtley, in the southwest quarter of section 14, two miles east of Mooresville. This quarry has been worked by the Hannibal and St. Joseph Railroad Company for some years, and is considered one of the best on the line of the road. The strata are regular and increase in thickness in proportion to the distance from the surface. Another quarry was opened by the railroad company on the farm of W. W. Clark some years since, and worked to some extent. Two or three other quarries of less extent have been opened in different parts of the township, notably one on the farm of John Stuckey.

    Of the adaptability of the soil in this township generally for the growth of blue grasses, one of its former residents, Hon. H. C. Ireland, who is yet a large land owner here, and a prominent stock-raiser and breeder says: -

    I would say that I was raised in the blue grass region of Kentucky, and I am satisfied that this section is equal to that or any other country for blue grass. My reason for saying this is that I have bought and sown [in about 1876] on my land over 200 bushel of blue grass seed directly from Kentucky, and now [1880] have as firm and thorough sod as I ever saw in that State. This county is equal to the best of Kentucky soil. We have the same limestone, and also the red clay that underlies the blue grass of Kentucky.

    EARLY SETTLEMENTS.

    Settlements were made in this township as early as in 1833, and perhaps a few were made the previous year. The site was a favorite one with the pioneers, containing plenty of wood, water and game, with a sufficiency of good land for corn fields and "truck patches." By the year 1840 there were in what is now Mooresville township at least fifty families. A few of the early pioneers and their immediate descendants, the Hudginses, the McCoskries and Tomlins yet live in the township.

    An invaluable pioneer record is the following list of the land entries made in this township up to the year 1840. This list shows the names of those who were actual settlers, and describes the lands they entered, and the date of entry. Some of the settlers, however, settled on the tracts of land described a few years before they entered them - as did the McCoskries, the Woolseys, Wm. Hudgins and John L. Tomlin: -

    TOWNSHIP 57, RANGE 25.

     
    Name. Description. Date.
    H. H. Gray w. sw. sec. 4 and e. se. sec. 5 . Sept. 26, 1839
    H. G. Lyon w. se. sec. 5 and w. se. sec.18. July 5, 1838
    Madison Fisk e. sw. sec. 5 . May 15, 1838
    Zeph. Woolsey sw. sw. sec. 5. Oct. 8, 1836
    Saml. Collins w. se. e. sw. sec. 6 May 7, 1839
    Thos. Woolsey nw. ne. sec. 6 and s. sw. sec. 31-58-25 July 18, 1838
    Nathan Freeman w. sw. sec. 6 June 29, 1835
    S. W. Reynolds w. sw. sec. 7 June 10, 1835
    Howard Maupin se. nw. sec. 7 June 30, 1835
    Henry Reynolds nw. s. sec. 7 Oct. 14, 1836
    Gilbert Woolsey e. sw. sw. sw. e. se. sec. 7 Jan. 2, 1837
    Giles Woolsey w. se. sec. 7 June 29, 1835
    Jas. W. Perman w. sw sec. 8 Nov. 10, 1837
    Wm. Mann ne. sw. sec. 8 Sept. 15, 1837
    Wm. Mann e. ne. and w. se. sec. 8 Jan. 17, 1838
    Asa Mann se. sw. sec. 8 March 9, 1836
    Wm. Hudgins w. se. sec. 9 Sept. 9, 1837
    Thos. Fields e. se. sec. 10 Dec. 10, 1836
    Jno. L. Tomlin w. sw. sec. 11 Dec. 10, 1836
    Seneca Wilson ne. sec. 14 and s. ne. sec. 22 July 8, 1837
    Reub. McCoskrie ne. se. sec. 14 Feb. 28, 1838
    Reub. McCoskrie se. sw. sec. 14 Jan. 7, 1835
    Peter Irons se. se. sec. 14 and ne. ne. sec. 23 July 6, 1835
    Henry Karsner sw. se. sec. 14 Jan. 30, 1836
    Wm. Mead ne. sw. sec. 14 Feb. 28, 1838
    Alex. Work w. sw. and se. nw. sec. 14 May 29, 1835
    Elijah N. Guill me. nw. sec. 14 July 26, 1838
    Thos. Fields w. sw. sec. 14 , e. ne. , e. se. sec. 15 June 18, 1835
    Wm. Parker w. ne. w. se. sec. 15 June 13, 1836
    Josiah Taylor, Jr se. nw. sec. 15 March 22, 1836
    Josiah Taylor e. sw. sec. 15 Jan. 30, 1836
    Jacob Gobin nw. sw. sec. 15 June 13, 1836
    John Trotter sw. sw. sec. 15 Sept. 24, 1836

     
    1. J. W. Perman
    e. ne. sec. 17 June 19, 1835
    James Laws sw. se. sec. 17 Sept. 8, 1838
    Gilbert Perman ne. sw. sec. 17 Sept. 24, 1836
    Wm. Mann nw. sec. 17 May 29, 1835
    Wm. Mann w. sw. sec. 17 June 27, 1830
    Gilbert Woolsey e. ne. and nw. ne. ne. nw. sec. 18 Jan. 21, 1837
    Wm. Hudgins greater part of sec. 21 1838 - 9
    James Barlow ne. ne. sec. 21 and nw. nw. sec. 22 May 5, 1837
    Fred Lyda ne. nw. sec. 29 July 5, 1838
    John Davis ne. ne. sec. 22 Feb. 18, 1836
    John L. Tomlin ne. ne. sec. 22 Nov. 2, 1835
    Peter Malone ne. se. sec. 22 Sept. 6, 1839
    Reub. McCoskrie e. nw. n. ne. sec. 28 June 18, 1835
    Russell Williams e. sw. sec. 28 June 1, 1837
    John Fryer nw. and sw. ne. sec. 81 Nov. 18, 1837
    Thos. R. Bryan e. sw. nw. sw. sec. 81 Oct. 17, 1836
    James Earl sw. sw. sec. 31 June 5, 1837
    Roberson Bryan w. se. sec. 81 Nov. 2, 1836
    Isaac McCroskie e. se. sec. 31 Dec. 29, 1835
    John Bryan. ne. sw. sec. 33 July 5, 1838
    Spencer H. Gregory e. se. sec. 84 and sw. sw. sec. 85 Nov. 5, 1836

    Some of the prominent early settlers in this locality are not mentioned in the foregoing list; they bought their lands from the parties entering them. Capt. Nehemiah Comstock and his brother Hiram are two of these. Capt. Comstock, as fully noted elsewhere, led his company in the Mormon War, and many of his men were from this township.

    TWO MURDERS DURING THE CIVIL WAR.

    During the Civil War there were four men murdered in this township. Rev. Isaac Lock was killed in the winter of 1862, as best remembered. A married daughter resided with him, and her husband, then in California, had sent to her a considerable sum of money to come to him; this money was thought to be in the possession of Mr. Lock. One night, at about 9 o'clock, four men came to the house of Mr. Lock and informed him that they had been sent to summon him to Chillicothe forthwith to serve as a grand juror. Refusing all excuses they induced him to start at once, and two miles from home they shot him and then robbed the body of a few dollars in his pockets. The larger sum was not in his possession. The names of three of the miscreants are said to be known. They were never arrested, however. That the motive for this murder was robbery was never doubted.

    In 1862 Capt. Chas. Cooper was killed. Reference to this incident is made elsewhere. After being taken prisoner in May he was sent off to St. Louis, and some time later he was released on parole and bond and allowed to return home. At the time his residence was a mile and a half from east of Mooresville. The night of his arrival at home three or four members of the militia from Utica came out, and demanding admittance into the house were refused. Whereupon they opened fire, and one shot passed through the door and struck Mr. Cooper, inflicting a fatal wound. There was no other motive for this murder save that he was a "rebel," and his murderers alleged that he was a dangerous one. It is said that only two men did the deed, and that one of them on his death-bed confessed to the particulars.

    The murder of Block and Bloom is detailed on another page of this chapter.

    ORGANIZATION.

    Mooresville township was created as a distinct municipal organization by the county court, December 18, 1866, on petition of W. H. Gaunt, Adam Lydick and others. It was formed out of Greene and Monroe townships, with its metes and bounds as at present. It was named for the town of Mooresville.

    THE TOWN OF MOORESVILLE.

    The town of Mooresville was laid out by W. B. Moore, April 25, 1860. The plat was surveyed by D. R. Martin, then the county surveyor. Mr. Moore located on the site in 1844. There was then a cabin, which had been built by Capt. Nehemiah Comstock some time previously, and Mr. Moore lived in this cabin for a period. This cabin stood where Moore's residence now is, a little north of the railroad, and not actually on the town site proper.

    On what is now the town plat the first house was a log building, which stand on lot 1, block 4, and was erected by Mr. Moore in 1849. To this house he brought a stock of goods and here he kept a small store until the following year, when he sold out and went to California. His successor was a Mr. Campbell, whose clerk was Pendleton Ellis. In a short time Mr. Campbell gave up the business. Mr. Moore returned from California and gave the building for a school-house, in a district which had been newly organized.

    In the early spring of 1860 Mr. Moore put up a frame building, west of where the railroad depot now stands, which was used as a storehouse. When the town was laid off this building was found to be outside of the plat, but it was used as a store by S. A. Brock until in 1862, when it was moved to lot 6, block 3. The post-office was established in 1860, and S. A. Brock was the first postmaster. For some time the trains would not stop at the station to take on or deliver mail, but threw it off as they ran by.

    When the Civil War broke out there were on the town Brock's store and the post-once, and a blacksmith shop. The latter was on lot 1, block 2, and was run by a man named Shope. He caught the war fever, and, as he could pound the thundering drum as well as the ringing anvil, he enlisted in the Southern army as a drummer, and one morning marched bravely and gaily away "in a crowd by him-self," vigorously beating his big drum "diddy-bum, diddy-bum, diddy-bum-bum-bum !"

    In 1868 a detachment of militia was stationed here to guard the place. The citizens mere notified to bring in several hundred bushels of corn for the use of the military; they did so and the corn was piled up in a huge heap; all or nearly all of it was receipted and paid for by the Government. One night the big corn pile caught fire and after burning three or four days was entirely consumed. A lot of hay was burned at the same time. The same year the citizens of the surrounding neighborhood put down a side track; that is they did the grading and the railroad company laid the iron and ties.

    July 4, 1864, Mr. Moore laid the foundation for a large storehouse on lot 8, block 2; this building he still owns. The first dwelling house was built by Mr. Block near his store and is still standing. In the year 1865 Mr. Geo. H. Nettleton, the then superintendent of the railroad, came up and made arrangements with Mr. Moore to establish a regular depot, etc. The railroad company took half of the unsold lots as a price for locating and building the depot. Moore was then running a store and so was Glenn & Matthews, at Brock's stand.

    The town has had a slow but steady growth since the war. In 1870 the cemetery was laid out, there being a sufficiency of people here at, the time to warrant the starting of a graveyard. In 1880 the business men of the village were C. Fink & Co., general merchants; J. T. Hunter, stoves and tinware; J. P. Albaugh, groceries, etc.; J. G. Woodlan, furniture; L. Holding saddles and harness; Miller & Bower, lumber; T. W. Donaldson, drugs, etc.; J. M. Bullard, livery stable; R, B. Herriman, wagon-maker; T. R. Holding and J. Hoover, blacksmiths; Joseph Owens, shoemaker; three hotels, the Albaugh House, Rhodes House and Dalbey House; Mrs. A. A. Mathews, milliner.

    INCORPORATED.

    Mooresville was incorporated, as a town, by the county court, April 20, 1874. The inhabitants, headed by Solomon Mix, represented to the court that they were compelled to work on the public roads outside of the town; that their own streets were mere highways, along which men might and did drive furiously and recklessly " to the great danger of our women and children;" that they had no power to punish certain offenses, and so their prayer for incorporation was granted.

    THE MURDER OF BROCK AND BLOOM.

    On the 11th of December, 1863, Mr. Shelton A. Brock and Jerome Bloom were murdered at Mooresville by a band of four rebel bush-whackers led by Jim Nave, of Jackson township. Mr. Brock was a young merchant and a son-in-law of M. B. Moore. Bloom was a bachelor of middle age, a member of the militia, and had resided near Breckinridge; at the time he was in the employ of Mr. Brock, having engaged to do some carpentering. Both Brock and Bloom were Kentuckians, and both stanch Unionists.

    There were no militia near, and at about 8 p. m. the four bush-whackers: Jim Nave, Jr., Nicholas Weldon, Wm. Love and Wm. Turner suddenly made their appearance at Mr. Brock's store. Dismounting, three of them entered, leaving Nick Weldon to hold the horses of the party. There were in the store besides Brock and Bloom, Mr. Ammi Lawson and Mr. A. T. Kirtley. The brigands entered carelessly and spent a few seconds in conversation, when Nave drew his revolver and shot down Bloom. Mr. Brock was behind the counter and catching up a gun that stood by him fired at Nave, but missed his mark. Instantly Bill Turner fired and shot down Brock. The citizens were kept under guard and the robbers then plundered the store of whatever they wanted, and they seemed to want a great deal. Brock's watch was taken from his body and worn off by Turner. The robbers left at their leisure, riding off first to the westward, then turning north.

    The alarm was given and some militia and citizens came in and organized a pursuing party, but the weather was very foggy nod the night. too dark to accomplish anything. Nave and his party passed through the Weldon neighborhood and the forks, stole some fresh horses and made their escape to Illinois. The next spring they were tracked and arrested near Mt. Sterling in that State, and brought to Quincy where they were placed in jail for safe keeping. Here Bill Turner either hung himself or was hanged by his companions in his cell. He was still wearing Brock's watch, which was restored to the family. The other prisoners were brought back to Chillicothe and taken thence to St. Joseph and placed in jail. At the May term, 1864, indictments had been found against all of them for murder and robbery, and they were in the hands of the civil authorities, though guarded a part of the time by the militia.

    At St. Joseph all three of the robbers, together with a number of other prisoners succeeded in escaping from the jail, - it is said by the connivance of the jailor. On the 18th of June, Jim Nave was killed in a raid on Laclede made by Clif. Holtzclaw's band, which he had joined after his escape from St. Joseph. The guerrillas dashed into the town, robbed it, and held it an hour or two. Nave was mortally wounded by a discharged Union soldier named David Crowder, and died the next day at the house of a Mr. Stepp, neat Laclede. Crowder was himself killed by a comrade of Nave's.

    CHURCHES IN MOORESVILLE.

    Cumberland Presbyterian Church. - The organization of this church was elected in the year 1871. Some of the first members were John J. Ireland, Elizabeth Ireland, John Amich, Susan A. Amich, Martin D. Mann, Amanda M. Mann, Sarah A. Holden, Lucy McGee, George J. Thompson, Elizabeth Thompson, James T. Mann and Lucretia Mann. Revs. John W. French, Elbert Ragan, Amos Coen and P. W. Wynn have been the pastors. In 1872, a frame church building was built, that cost some $800. The present membership is about 25.

    Christian Church. - July 6, 1879, this church was organized with about 30 members. The pastors have been Elds. D. T. Wright, J. E. Pardoner and Rev. Knox. Services are conducted in the M. E. Church building at Mooresville. There are, at this writing, about 24 members.

    M. E. South. - The organization of the Methodist Episcopal Church South at Mooresville was perfected in 1867. Its constituent members were J. Stuckey and wife, M. Tomlin and wife, A. T. Cunningham and wife, Mrs. N. Cooper, Mrs. N. Hamblin, Mrs. E. Rucker and a few others. The church building, a frame, was erected in 1881, and cost about $1,400. The pastors have been Revs. J. F. Shores, J. W. Jordan, J. S. Rooker, H. W. Currin, R. H. G. Keeran, R. H. Cooper, N. Scarlett, T. H. Swearengen, L. Baldwin, C. W. Hurley, F. Sumpter, W. C. Maggart, J. W. Keithley and W. B. Johnsey. At present the membership numbers 90. There are 45 scholars in the Sabbath-school, of which C. C. Currin is superintendent.

    SECRET ORDERS.

    Masonic Lodge. - Royal Lodge No. 407, A. F. and A. M., was organized May 24, 1878. The charter was granted October 17 of the same year. The charter members were D. C. Stone, H. L. Glaze, J. F. Matthews, W. D. Stringer, Adam Lydick, J. M. Reisch, H. C. Andrews, W. C. Austin, J. G. Woodland, A. S. Fish, Antone Schuler, John W. Herrold, Wm. Hamblin, W. L. Blackwell, J. P. Albaugh. The first officer were A. S. Fish, master; H. C. Andrews and Henry Glaze, wardens; J. G. Woodland, secretary; D. C. Stone, treasurer. The present membership numbers 27.

    United Workmen. - Mooresville Lodge No. 37, A. O. U. W., was organized December 1, 1877, with 31 members. The total number of beneficiaries issued since the organization is 64; present membership, 40.

    THE MOORESVILLE MINERAL SPRINGS

    Some time during the year 1842 Mr. James Lawson moved with his family from Kentucky to Missouri. While traveling through this, Livingston county, by wagon, he came across these, now the Mooresville Mineral Springs, and needing rest, he concluded to stop a day or two, the situation being very inviting, the springs being situated near the crest of a gently sloping hill, entirely surrounded by beautiful large shade trees, and bounded on the north by a large body of oak timber; the southern slope of the hill receding off into a tine body of rich prairie land. In using the water for cooking purposes, Mr. Lawson's family very soon discovered that " something was the matter with the spring water." When boiled it formed a crust on the vessels and made the cooked food taste "funny." It was at once decided to " strike tent" and move which they did, to a point a, half a mile south, to another spring, the waters of which were more palatable and suitable to their tastes and demands. From that day until about the year 1880 these springs were known and called " Sulphur Springs," to designate them from the ordinary fresh water springs. Mr. E. J. Moore, conceived the idea that the water of the springs would be a cure for hog cholera, a disease which had been very fatal to swine in this section of the country for a number of years. He consequently allowed his hogs access to no other water than this, and the consequence is that he did not lose a single head, while his neighbors at times lost their entire herds. This induced Mr. Moore to have the water analyzed. A glass demijohn, sealed at the springs, five gallons, was sent to Wright & Merrill, analytic chemists, St. Louis, and after three day's careful testing, they made the following report: -

    St. Louis, Mo., April 22, 1881.

    J. E. Hitt, Esq. - Sir: We have carefully analyzed the sample of water sent us from the Mooresville Mineral Springs, and have to report the following: -

    Specific gravity, 1.018.

    Reaction neutral.

    Carbonic acid gas, 41.7 cubic inches.

     
    Total solids per gallon

    Bi-carbonate lime

    Bi-carbonate iron

    Sulphate of lime

    Sulphate of alumina

    Sulphate of magnesia

    41.52 grains

    17.71 grains

    5.07 grains

    4.66 grains

    1. grains

    1.40 grains

    Chloride of sodium

    Chloride of potassium

    Soluble silica

    Iodine - a trace

    Organic matter

    Loss

    1. grains

    2.45 grains

    .61 grains

    2.15 grains

    .22 grains

    The springs are situated one-fourth of a mile north and the same distance west of the town of Mooresville. The Mineral Springs Hotel, now conducted by Dr. Theo. Fisk, is situated within 50 yards of the springs. It is a fine commodious two-story frame building, and the accommodations are very superior and the rates moderate and reasonable. The water has a great reputation as a curative agent for diseases of the stomach and liver. Many persons have visited the springs sorely afflicted and come away rejoicing and praising them. From all the testimony it is not exaggeration to say that the water of these springs is equal in value to that of any other spring in Missouri or Arkansas, the noted Excelsior and Eureka Springs not excepted. Both hot and cold baths are supplied guests.


    BIOGRAPHICAL.

    JEREMIAH P. ALBAUGH

    (Dealer in Groceries, Mooresville).

    Jeremiah P. Albaugh was born March 31, 1835, at Mt. Vernon, O., of the marriage of Emanuel and Susan (Terrill) Albaugh, the former a miller by calling as well as an agriculturist. He died in 1859 in Ohio, but his widow lived until 1876. The following family of children were given them: Jeremiah, Elijah, who joined the 54th Ohio volunteer infantry and participated in many important battles during the war, but finally succumbed to sickness and died while in service in 1864; Francis, died in 1888; Almary, became the wife of Antone Schuler, of California; Polly Ann, married Amos Wix, of Ohio, who was also a soldier; he followed Sherman on all his hazardous campaigns, including the march to the sea, and was mustered out in 1805; returning to Ohio, he died there October 15, 1879, his wife subsequently dying at this place and leaving three children, who now live with their uncle, Mr. Albaugh; Arville is now Mrs. William Gibbs, Jr., and Andrew died here. In growing up Jeremiah as the oldest of a family was denied the privileges of more than a meager education, for by the death of his father the entire responsibility of the family fell upon him. All his life he has spent in discharging his duty towards his father's family, a duty which is something more - a labor of love. His endeavors has been at the expense of hard work and strict economy, but have resulted in substantial success, and added to his limited schooling he has by contact with the world and close application become thoroughly posted on the current topics of the day. In 1868 he came to Missouri and engaged in the saw mill business. Previous to that time he joined the Union forces in 1868 as second lieutenant, but on account of failing health he was compelled to resign shortly before promotion to the rank of captain. Mr. Albaugh has never married, always having been, as stated, the care and protection of his brothers and sisters. In politics he is a Republican, and tough in a township largely Democratic, he has been justice of the peace for 14 years, a warm testimonial to his personal popularity. His business at this place is one which is bringing him substantial returns, for he enjoys a good patronage.

    CARROLL BRAY

    (Farmer and Stock-raiser, Section 32, Post-office, Breckinridge).

    Throughout the county, and especially over this portion of it, the name of Carroll Bray is as well known, almost, as a household word, for, one of the oldest citizens of the community in point of settlement, he is at the same time recognized by all as one of its solid, substantial and thoroughly reliable residents. His birth occurred March 4, 1820, in White county, Tenn., the youngest of two children in the family of his parents, Absalom and Elizabeth Bray, whose name before her marriage was Stevens. They were both Virginians by birth. When Carroll was but a small boy his father, who had given his attention to tilling the soil, died, but his mother survived until 1866. Their other son, Absalom, went to Texas in 1842 and was never heard from afterwards. Previous to her marriage with Mr. Bray, Elizabeth Stevens had become the wife of John Simpson, who left at his death one son, John; the latter died at Spring Hill, this county, in 1885. In 1838 Mr. Carroll Bray first became a settler in Missouri, and from that time until 1849 he was actively occupied in farming. In the year mentioned he went overland to California, drawn thither by the marvelous stories of the abundance of gold, and was four months in making the journey, though subsequently meeting with encouraging success. October 5, 1850, he left San Francisco for home, reached the Isthmus of Panama in 21 days, and then took ship for New Orleans, which point he reached after a tempestuous voyage. Upon his return home he purchased a large farm and then on the 12th of October, 1851, he took unto himself a wife in the person of Miss Elizabeth McCoskrie, whose father, Isaac McCoskrie, was a pioneer of this county; reference to him has frequently been made within these pages. Mr. and Mrs. Bray are the parents of the following children: Louisa died in 1862 when 10 years old; one infant is deceased; Nancy A. died at the age of four years in 1868; Spencer H. is living with his father and assists in the management of the farm; Andrew married Amanda Bryant, daughter of Thos. J. Bryant, and William resides at home. Mr. Bray's farm contains 200 acres and this constitutes one of the most valuable tracts hereabouts. In his political preferences he is a Democrat.

    DR. THEOPHILUS FISKE

    (Proprietor of the Mooresville Springs Hotel).

    For a period now of about eighteen years he whose name heads this sketch has been located at Mooresville, and during this time he has enjoyed a reputation as an upright, honorable man that shall never be forgotten. His life history is not unlike that of other professional men, and yet there has been that individuality about him that has gained for him many friends. His practice as a physician at Mooresville has been of substantial results, and at this time he is the proprietor of the Mineral Springs Hotel, where he is having a good patronage. Under his management and supervision these springs are rapidly becoming well and favorably known, and there is no reason why they should not, as the same mineral qualities are to be found here that are contained in other springs. Dr. Fiske was born October 6, 1834, in White county, Tenn., the son of Madison Fiske, originally from New Hampshire, and by profession a physician and surgeon. He followed the practice of medicine with signal success until his death in 1853, at the age of 63 years. He had married Miss Eliza Gleason, whose father was of Irish descent, and a farmer by occupation; she was 74 years old at the time of her death in 1835. Moses Fink, an uncle of Madison, was for many years a leading professor in Dartmouth College. Theophilus was one of nine children in his parents' family, the others being Adrian, an influential lawyer in Tennessee and a member of the last Legislature; he was a captain in the Confederate States army during the war and surrendered with Johnston; Douglass died in 1883; he was also in the Confederate army and an escort of Jefferson Davis; Montgomery was taken prisoner by the Federals at Fort Donelson and died in prison at Alton, Ill., in 1863; Nat, another brother, was in the army and was wounded at Chicamauga; John is a farmer in Texas; Willard is a physician in Dallas county, Tex., a graduate of the Nashville Medical College; Madison is located in Tennessee; Louisa was accidentally poisoned in infancy. Dr. Theophilus Fiske grew up upon a farm and obtained a common school education and subsequently he studied medicine with Dr. M. Y. Crockett, now a leading practitioner of Sherman, Tex. Entering the medical department of the Nashville University, he attended a term of lectures in 1855 and 1856 and received a diploma from the medical society of the University of Nashville. The Doctor afterwards located in practice in Tennessee and at the outbreak of the war he enlisted as assistant surgeon in the Confederate army, serving as such throughout the entire service. 1868 Dr. F. came to Mooresville. In 1859 he was married to Miss Mary E. Dibrell, of Tennessee. Her father, M. C. Dibrell, was intimately connected with the political affairs of his county and State and held several important offices, and was clerk and master of the chancery court, etc. He is not now living. Dr. and Mrs. F. have the following children: Maggie, wife of Chas. I. Ireland; Frederick L., located at Roberson; Mary L., died when young, and Lizzie, Frank, Joseph and Effie are at home; Willie Leona died in youth. Dr. Fiske is a member of the I. O. O. F.

    CHARLES W. GARLICK

    (Farmer and Stock-raiser, Section 8, Post-office, Mooresville).

    Mr. Garlick has been a resident of this township since 1871, and during this time he has lived upon his neat and pleasant homestead of 50 acres two miles north of Mooresville, gaining in the meanwhile a large acquaintance and the confidence of all who knew him. His birth occurred in Montgomery county, Va., August 30, 1840, his parents being William P. and Malvina Garlick, nee Winfrey. The former was a carpenter and farmer in the Old Dominion until his accidental death by a tobacco-prize; his estimable widow still makes her home in Montgomery county, Va. Five children were in their family: John W., Charles W., Susan A., Mary E., James Henry and Sarah Jane. The first named is now in Franklin county, Va. He was a Confederate soldier during the war, a member of the 4th Virginia infantry, serving throughout the entire struggle and surrendering with Robert E. Lee. Susan A. is now Mrs. Samuel Watson, of Virginia, and the other children now live with their mother. Charles W., while spending his boyhood days upon a farm, received a good common school education, but upon the first alarm of war he laid aside his books and with his brother William early volunteered in the 4th Virginia infantry, under command of Col. James Preston, a veteran Mexican officer, that noble, honored Southerner, Stonewall Jackson, being the brigadier-general of the brigade. These brothers fought throughout the entire war, taking part in all of Jackson's remarkable engagements, including those of Manassas, Seven Days' fight at Richmond, Malvern, Winchester, Chancellorsville, where Jackson was killed, the battle of Gettysburg, where our subject lost his left arm, and after that he was not actively engaged. He was wounded at both battles of Manassas, the first time by a ball grazing his scalp, and the last by a ball in the shoulder. At the time of the surrender he was a member of Lee's army. Surely such a career spent in defense of the claim which he esteemed to be right is one to which he can refer with pardonable pride. After the war Mr. Garlick was occupied in farming in Virginia until his removal to this county, November 28, 1871. In 1866 Miss Mary E. Bennett became his wife, daughter of Stephen P. Bennett, of Franklin county, Va. They have three interesting children: John W., Charles P. and Virgie E.

    THOMAS GRAY

    (Farmer and Stock-raiser, Section 7, Post-office, Breckinridge).

    The career of Mr. Gray affords a striking example of encouragement for the youth of the present day who have not very favorable circumstances surrounding them, and yet who are desirous of attaining to positions of esteem and true substantial worth in the communities where they may hereafter reside. Left an orphan at an early age, young Thomas grew up without the tender influences of parents' care and for this reason, if for no other, he deserves great credit for his rise in life, not only in material affairs, but as a man. Mr. Gray was born in this county February 7, 1845, the son of Henry and Deborah (Tomlin) Gray, the former being an agriculturist by calling; he emigrated from Kentucky at an early day to Livingston county, Mo., and located some two miles north of Mooresville, where he gave his attention to farming until his death, Thomas then being but three years old. The mother died when he was nine days old. Two boys and three girls were in their family: Lucinda married first William Noland, of Platte county, and after his death Mr. Nick Timberlake, who also died; she is again married and living in Platte county; Sarah's husband, Smith Faubion, served under Shelby in the Confederate army during the war; she died in 1862, and two of her three children now survive; John J. entered the Federal army soon after his marriage, subsequently belonged to the Western division and endured much active service until the close of the war, having many narrow escapes from the Indians, and once he was compelled to sustain himself on mule meat; another daughter, Eliza, is the wife of Matthias Noland, of Platte county. Thomas, the subject of this sketch, after his father's death was taken charge of by Thomas Fields, who reared him and gave him such an education as the inferior subscription schools of the time could afford. Notwithstanding these disadvantages Mr. Gray succeeded by perseverance and close application in becoming well informed on all general subjects and the current topics of the day. December 14, 1865, he was married to Miss Melissa G. Stanley, daughter of Reuben Stanley, of Carroll county, who died when his daughter was quite small; her mother still survives. To Mr. and Mrs. Gray the following children have been given: William M., born October 31, 1866; Zorayda A., born November 4, 1868; Lucinda Ida, born December 26, 1870; John A., born May 19, 1873; Edgar O., born July 4, 1876; Mertie J., born June 25, 1880. Mr. Gray formerly belonged to the I. O. O. F. at Breckinridge and he is also a member of the A. O. U. W. at Mooresville. His possessions embrace 420 acres of valuable land, 80 acres of which are in Caldwell county, 40 in Daviess and the remainder in this county. He keeps a good breed of stock and in the management of everything connected with his farm he displays excellent judgment and thoroughness, qualities which can not fail of success. In his political preferences he is a Democrat, though no political aspirant, and throughout the county he has many friends, by whom he is well and favorably known.

    WILLIAM H. GREEN, M. D.

    (Physician and Surgeon, Mooresville, Mo.)

    Among the younger members of the medical profession in Livingston county is he whose name heads this sketch, already well established as a physician of merit and true worth and regarded with favor by those older in years and experience. He is a native Missourian, having been born in Clinton county August 14, 1855, his parents, James B. and Talitha Green (whose maiden name was Moberly), having been Kentuckians by birth. The mother died in 1855, but the father still survives and is a resident of Clinton county. There were two children born of their union besides William H.; Elizabeth is now Mrs. John Hockaday, of Clinton county, and Belle married Dr. G. H. Donaldson, a prominent and influential physician of Breckinridge, Mo. The youth of William was passed upon a farm and also in attendance upon the common schools and when 16 years of age he left home and located near Gainesville, Texas, teaching school the following year. While in that vicinity he entered upon the study of medicine, and returning home, he continued his researches in this science, being guided in his studies by Dr. James, of Barnesville. He attended his first course of lectures at the Missouri Medical College in 1876 and two years later was graduated from that well known institution thoroughly prepared to enter actively upon the discharge of his professional duties. In 1878 he took up his abode at Mooresville, commenced practicing and has continued it with the success that predicts for him an unusually brilliant future. His wife was formerly Miss Minnie E. Parks, daughter of Richard and Jane Parks, of Mooresville, the latter now residing with her daughter, but the father is dead. To the Doctor and his wife two children have been born: a daughter who died in infancy and Nellie, now three years of age, the joy of the household. Dr. Green is a leading member of the Masonic Order and has held different chairs in that body; he also belongs to the A. O. U. W ., of which he is past master. Politically he is a Democrat. The Grand River Medical Society finds in him a warm friend and member.

    JOHN HAMBLIN

    (Insurance Agent and Farmer, Post-office, Mooresville).

    Mr. Hamblin, well known to almost all residents of this portion of the county, was born November 27, 1842, and like others mentioned in the present volume is of Missouri nativity. His father, Peter Hamblin, was originally from North Carolina and after reaching manhood he married Miss Elizabeth Bryan, of Tennessee birth. In an early day they came to Missouri and located in Livingston county, where Mr. Hamblin engaged in agricultural pursuits. His death occurred in 1872, his wife surviving until 1880. Eight children blessed their happy married life, John being the second. The others were Eliza, wife of E. M. Anderson; Alfred and William J., now in this county; Charles and Isaac are deceased; Nancy N., who married William Davis, of Butler county, Mo.; Martha J., now Mrs. James H. Beamer, of Cowley county, Kan. John Hamblin passed his younger days as did other boys, growing up to a farm experience and as a student in the district and subscription schools. During the war he was a member of the Enrolled Militia, but subsequently joined the 43d Missouri volunteer infantry, Co. H, in August, 1864, and was taken prisoner at Glasgow, remaining so confined until his exchange; first he was stationed at St. Joseph and afterwards at Kansas City, there staying until the close of the war. Upon his return from the service Mr. Hamblin again located on his farm and has continued to live upon it up to this time. In 1878 he opened an office in Mooresville and began the insurance business, a calling in which he has done well, two of the companies which he represents being the Home and Continental of New York. His personal popularity has been shown on many occasions by his election to official positions, and at this time he is justice of the peace of this township; he has also held the offices of constable, trustee and clerk. In his political affiliations he is a Democrat, though always supporting men and measures rather than party.

    WARREN M. HUDGINS

    (Farmer and Stock--raiser, Section 28, Post-office, Mooresville).

    The political career and experience of Mr. Hudgins as well as his connection with the agricultural affairs of this community have contributed to give him a wide and popular acquaintance with nearly every citizen of Livingston county, if not personally, then by name. Warren M. Hudgins was born near Frankfort, Ky., October 11, 1825, his parents being William and Nancy (Blake) Hudgins, both Virginians by birth. They had emigrated to Kentucky in an early day when there was but a wild and unexplored region where now are seen beautiful farms, fine blue grass pastures, etc., and Mr. H. became well acquainted with the famous hunters, Daniel Boone, Simon Kutton, etc. He was a man of considerable knowledge and after living in Mercer county a number of years he purchased, in company with a man named Applegate, the site of the city of Louisville, subsequently selling out to Mr. Applegate, who became wealthy from the proceeds. Mr. H. then emigrated to Ray county, Mo., purchased a large farm and resided upon it a number of years, and at the opening of the Civil War enjoyed a large competence. In an early day he had come to this county and for 12 or 14 years he was one of the county judges on the Democratic ticket, the party with which he so strongly affiliated until his death in 1874. He was prominent in Masonic matters and organized the first lodge in Livingston county at Chillicothe; his wife died in 1858. The following children were in their family; Rosanna L., wife of Stephen Lillard, of Woodford county, Ky.; William B., a hotel proprietor at Richmond, Mo.; Elizabeth, now Mrs. Thomas H. Bayliss of Lexington, Lincoln county, Ky.; James, who died in 1861; Frances was first married to Addison Rucker of this county, and after his death to Richard Darnold, of Boone county, Ky.; she died in 1852. Warren M. was reared as an agriculturist and was especially favored with educational opportunities, for in addition to instruction in the subscription schools, he received the benefits of his father's intellectual training. When but 19 years old he enlisted in the Mexican War, in Co. A, under Capt. Giddings, of Monroe county, and upon leaving Ft. Leavenworth they went to Santa Fe in August, 1845, remaining there until the following October. After being mustered out Mr. Hudgins returned to this county and resided here continuously up to the time of his journey with his family across the plains to California. Two years were passed in that State occupied in farming and kindred pursuits, and then he again came back to old Livingston. Mr. Hudgins' wife was formerly Miss Elizabeth Comstock, daughter of Nehemiah Comstock, one of the oldest and most respected citizens of the county. To them have been born five children: Myra, wife of Robert Currin, of Breckinridge; Thomas, John and Foster are at home; and Ada, the youngest child, is now the wife of Charles Halstead, of Breckinridge. Mr. Hudgins owns 160 acres of valuable land, well improved. His operations are all conducted in a manner above reproach and in a way as it would benefit others; to follow. In 1882 he was nominated by the Greenback party as their candidate for sheriff but the strong Democratic majority given to Samuel Harris could not be overcome. In 1880 - 81 Mr. H. served most acceptably as county assessor.

    COMMODORE INGRAM

    (Mooresville).

    Within the past few years there has arisen in the country a most remarkable science, if such it can be called; at least it is only of comparative recent date that the attention of the masses has been directed to it. In the days of Christ such occurrences as now transpire were not unknown, and even since then there have been many ready witnesses to the truth of this wonder. We refer to the faith cure, so-called, or the healing of the diseased by means of faith. Space forbids our entering into a detailed discussion of this cure, and indeed it would not be necessary, for our readers are all acquainted to some degree with its progress and nature. Among others who have become well known in the prosecution of this cure is Mr. Ingram, and the history of how he came to he associated with it is of sufficient interest to warrant a brief outline in the present work. He was born April 10, 1824, in Floyd county, Ind., the fourth of eight children born to Ezekiel and Mary Ingram, the former of whom died in 1875 and the latter in 1835. In youth he had scarcely any facilities for acquiring an education, never having attended school a day in his life; but by strong and persistent effort he has succeeded in becoming well informed upon the current topics of the day. He continued to farm in Indiana until removing to Jefferson county, Ia., in 1844, and in 1848 he removed to Wapello county; five years later he settled in Decatur county, and for nine years was engaged in farming and painting. During the years 1854 - 55 - 56 he was a strong infidel, but one day while engaged in a discussion he was smitten down by the wrath of God and strangely afflicted. His life was despaired of, but when all hopes of recovery had vanished he was enveloped in a light exceeding the brightness of lightning, and at once arose from his bed and preached for an hour and a half. Subsequent to this Mr. Ingram went to Mapaska county, Ia., and farmed near Oskaloosa until 1872, when God again visited him and gave him the gift of healing the sick, as described in the Bible. He was made cognizant of this unexpected power by the sudden and complete return to health of an old friend of his with whom he shook hands on the 10th of February, 1872, and who had long been suffering with palsy. This supernatural gift seemed to leave Mr. Ingram for three years, but February 25, 1876, he appeared to receive a remarkable increase of power, a simple touch or command destroying the worst maladies like chaff before the wind. For two days he visited the houses of his neighbors and others whom be could not reach by just opening the doors of their residences felt the flight of the disease with which they had been afflicted. Such occurrences are beyond human power of explanation. That they are true many will attest, and the crowds who now come to him to be treated are living witnesses of his power to heal. Finally Mr. Ingram became located at Brookfield, and four years later went to Illinois, then returning to Iowa. It was while in Cherokee county that the power left him for three years, as before referred to. In September, 1885, after traveling for some time, he settled at Mooresville, where his large and growing patronage has been of wonderful success. Some remarkable cures are related of him. He has a, family of seven children living. One son, John F., received this divine gift like his father, but entering the United States army he died at Corinth, Miss. He is a strong believer in the truths of the Bible as literally taught. Surely no one in this county can lay claim to such experiences as have fallen to the lot of Mr. Ingram.

    EUPHRONIUS KIRTLEY

    (Farmer and Stock-raiser, Section 14, Post-office, Mooresville).

    No worthy reference to the agricultural affairs of this county would be complete without mention of Mr. Kirtley among others engaged in tilling the soil. Besides enjoying to an unlimited extent the confidence and respect of all who know him, he comes of a family of children they have not only done credit to themselves but have brought honor upon the name they bear. Mr. Kirtley's parents, Asa T. and Mary B. Kirtley, nee Rogers, both came of Kentucky nativity, the former from Boone county and the latter from Fayette county. Asa was a son of Robert Kirtley his forefathers having come from England in an early day. While in the Blue Grass State he (Asa) followed farming as a livelihood, and after living there until 1833 he moved to Indiana, which was his home until returning to Kentucky in 1837. A year later he settled in Saline county, Mo. and the next year became a citizen of Livingston county, where he purchased a huge tract of land east of Mooresville, and commenced its cultivation. In 1867 he moved to Lafayette county and at this time he now resides there, occupied in farming. His wife died in 1855, leaving eight children. She was a daughter of John Rodgers (who died of the cholera in 1832) and was remarried to Mr. K. in 1831. The names of these children were Marcus, who died July 15, 1882; Valerius died when 18 years old; Cyrus was a member of the Confederate army during the war and saw much active service, was several times wounded and once reduced to the necessity of sustaining himself upon the flesh of mules and horses, and surrendered with Pemberton's forces; he now resides at Marshall, Mo.; Erastus was a member of the M. S. M. and is now located in Marshall, Saline county; Lycurgus graduated from William Jewell College and also from the Crosier Theological Seminary, near Philadelphia, subsequently devoting a year's study with Dr. Osgood, of Flushing, Long Island; is now an able and rising minister of the Baptist Church at Jackson, Mich.; Manlius, unmarried, and Millard died in infancy, After the death his first wife Mr. Kirtley married Miss Margaret F. Herndon, of Carroll county. Three children blessed this union: Endora, wife of Thomas Bates, of Paola, Kan.; Edward died at the age of 18, and Arthur now assists in the management of the home place. Euphronius Kirtley was born November 26, 1835, in Decatur county, Ind., but was reared in this county, receiving a good common school education, supplemented by ten months' attendanoe at Edinburg College. In 1865 he left home, traveled throughout the West for a year, then returned and purchased a large farm east of Mooresville. January 29, 1863, he was married to Miss Martha E. Stuckey, daughter of John Stuckey, an old and esteemed citizen of this county. Mrs. K. died in March, 1875, leaving four children: Asa T., Mary B., Bertie and Hattie. August 29, 1877, Mr. Kirtley was again married, to Mrs. Dora Jordan. Mr. Kirtley farm now embraces 280 acres of land and upon it he has a number of short-horm cattle, an industry to which he gives considerable attention.

    JOHN F. MANN

    (Farmer and Stock-raiser, Section 19, Post-office, Mooresville).

    Still less than 40 years of age Mr. Mann is accorded a worthy place as an agriculturist of established reputation in this community. His father, James F. Mann, was a Kentuckian by birth and farmed in bis native State until removing to Livingston county, Mo., in 1855. He is now closely associated with the interests of both Caldwell and Livingston counties, though his residence is in Mooresville township of the latter county. He owns a valuable tract of 150 acres of land. His wife, Mrs. Lucretia Mann, died in June, 1885, having borne her husband 11 children, 5 of whom are now living: McD., who owns land in both Caldwell and Livingston counties; Louisa, wife of Stephen W. Reynolds, of Grand River township; Edmund T., in Caldwell county; Mary E., now Mrs. Robert S. Dilly; Huldah A., who married Leonard Immick, of Mooresville, and John F. The latter was born August 19, 1847, in Shelby county, Ky., and was about eight years of age when brought to this county by his father. He was raised to a farm life, being the recipient of a common district school education, and after reaching manhood he was married in December, 1878, to Miss Margery Dilley, daughter of John J. Dilley, an old and respected settler of this vicinity, now a citizen of Chillicothe. Mrs. Mann is a lady of excellent educational attainments and highly cultured, having attended the schools of Chillicothe, Liberty and Trenton; at the time of her marriage she was a teacher in Clay county. In 1874 Mr. Mann moved into Chillicothe and was engaged in clerking for the Sherman Mercantile Company until going to Breckinridge in 1878, where he carried on a grocery business, Mrs. Mann conducting a millinery establishment. Five months later they removed to Trenton, Grundy county, where Mrs. M. again opened a millinery store, her husband engaging in the livery business. Upon his return to Chillicothe he again clerked in a store, once more opened out a grocery house at Breckinridge, and subsequently became associated with Mr. J. P. Albaugh in a like business at Mooresville. After a year thus employed and a short time spent in Chillicothe he purchased a farm west of Mooresville and this he now owns, carrying on agricultural pursuits and stock raising. In all his transactions he has been peculiarly successful. Twenty-one times since his marriage has he moved, always with good results. One especial item about his place worthy of mention is the splendid orchard to be seen, the finest in this township. Himself and wife have two children: Charles A. and Orland F. In politics Mr. Mann is a Democrat.

    GEORGE P. PEPPER, JR.

    (Mooresville Township.)

    The family of which the subject of this sketch is a representative is one well known to the people of Livingston county, for one or more of its members have been identified with its interests in different capacities since an early period in its history. James S. and Nancy E. Pepper, nee Nave, were the parents of George P., the father being a Virginian by birth and the mother a native of this State. James Pepper died in this county September 27, 1875, but his widow still survives and finds a welcome home with her son, George. Eleven children were born to them, but only five of these are now living: James S., Maud S. and Katie C., at home, and Joseph D., who was married to Miss Annie Immick, daughter of John E. Immick, of Mooresville; he is now located at Sherman, Kan. George P. Pepper was born in Livingston county, January 4, 1852, mid in growing up passed his time in the vicinity of Spring Hill, Jackson township. His career, though perhaps not as long as many others, has been one of thrilling interest. During the war especially he was an active participant in numerous occurrences, though an unwilling one, and was placed in many dangerous places. After the battle of Wilson Creek about 1861, he was hung by one Granville Brasfield, who thought by this means to induce George to disclose the whereabouts of a friend, William Frith; though only 10 years old he refused to give the desired information and was strung up a second time, with like results. He is familiar with the killing of Dow Kirk and David Curtis by Thos. Jennings mentioned elsewhere and it was he who found the body of William Avery, murdered by Samuel Husher, the particulars of which are well known to him, and he was present at the hanging of Husher. Mr. Pepper after receiving a good education at the Chillicothe High School became located in the mercantile business at Lock Springs, Daviess county, remaining there until the destruction of his establishment by fire November 17, 1884. Another store house which be built at the same place was destroyed by a cyclone: He is now carrying on a mercantile business at a place in Kansas. Mr. Pepper's wife was formerly Miss Emma T. Peery, daughter of James W. Peery, the brother of Capt. Fielding Peery, of Daviess county; her cousin, Stephen Peery, is a prominent attorney of Trenton. Mr. P. and wife have had five children, all of whom are living. He has an enviable reputation throughout the county, and is a genial, whole-souled man whose word is as good as his bond.

    WILLIAM F. SPEARS

    (Farmer and Stock-raiser, Section 20, Township 57, Range 26,

    Post-office, Mooresville).

    Like so many other agriculturists of Livingston county of whom mention is made in these pages, Mr. Spears is a Kentuckian by birth and bringing up, and as such is well informed upon the proper methods to successfully conduct a farm and secure favorable results. Adam Spears, his father, devoted himself to farming as his occupation, and after reaching manhood he married Miss Leah Baxter, who died in 1864, her husband having died in 1842. They were both also of Kentucky nativity, and the parents of a large family of children. Of these Mary A. married W. W. Moore, of Harrison county, Ky.; Lucinda became the wife of Jonathan R. Montgomery, of Bourbon county, Ky.; John M. married Mollie Edrington, and lives in this county, and with him is Oliver P.; Amanda died in 1867; Reason A. married M. E. Gregory, of this county; he was a soldier during the rebellion, and is now in Chillicothe; and William F. is the subject of this sketch. He grew up in Harrison county, Ky., and obtained a limited education from the inferior subscription schools of the day, and from youth he had a responsibility placed upon him such as but few of the present day are called to hear. By the death of his father the charge of the family rested upon him, but the faithfulness and almost heroic mariner in which he discharged these duties towards the other members of the &.family is something worthy of preservation. After leaving home he learned the carpenter's trade, and in this occupation he continued for five years after removing to Chillicothe in November, 1855. In 1862 he took up his residence in this township, buying a small farm and turning his energies towards its improvement. At this time he owns a valuable estate of 160 acres, and is quite extensively engaged in dealing in graded stock, especially registered Berkshire hogs. His reputation as a stockman is by no means confined to this immediate vicinity, but extends over a wide territory. Mr. Spears was united in marriage in 1859 to Miss Sarah C. Holden, daughter of Benjamin Holden, of Scott county, Ky. Eight children have blessed this happy union: Mary, wife of Alfred Ireland, half brother to Hon. H. C. Ireland, of Chillicothe; Laura, deceased in 1882; Cora, William O., Bertha, Mattie, deceased in 1875; Ada L. and Charles H. Mr. S. has held all the chairs in the I. O. O. F., and has twice been delegate to the Grand Lodge. He also belongs to the A. O. U. W., of Mooresville, and was once a delegate to the Grand Lodge. For a number of years the Christian Church has found in him a reliable, consistent member.

    JACOB M. STOUT

    (Farmer and Stock-raiser, Section 7, Post-office, Breckinridge).

    Mr. Stout is very properly classed among the substantial, representative citizens of Mooresville township. Now just in the prime of life he has become possessed of a desirable competence, the result entirely of his own determination and will, and on his place of 160 acres he has a, magnificent stone dwelling, an ornament to the community. Born June 29, 1831, in New Jersey, he was the son of Jacob and Margaret (McIlroy) Stout, also natives of the same State, the father being an agriculturist by occupation. He died in New Jersey in 1878, the mother having preceded him to the grave in 1873. Six children were in their family, and the names of those besides Jacob were William, a wheelwright in New Jersey; Theodore, a moulder by trade, and James, a blacksmith, still in that State, as is Charles, who is engaged in farming and building; John accompanied his brother, Jacob, to Missouri, but on account of failing health was compelled to return to New Jersey, where he died in August, 1878. Jacob Stout, the subject of this sketch, was born on a farm and very naturally grew up to a farm experience, though when 14 years old he commenced to learn the trade of an iron moulder at Oxford, his native State. In 1869 he removed to Missouri, purchased an estate embracing 100 acres and for over 16 years has been identified with the agricultural interests of this county. His ideas in regard to the proper conduct of a farm have been warmly complimented and copied and since his location here he has made an extensive acquaintance. In 1857 Mr. Stout was married to Miss Lydia A. Goodison, of New Jersey, though her family now reside in Michigan, where her father, William Goodison, died in 1879. The following family of children have been born to Mr. and Mrs. Stout: Castella, who married in January, 1885, Henry Colvin, of Caldwell county; Elmer is a commercial traveler for Burns & Co., of St. Joseph, and Irving and Harry assist in the duties about the home place. Mr. S. belongs to both the I. O. O. F. and A. F. and A. M. fraternities; his wife is a consistent member of the Christian Church.

    MICHAEL TOMLIN

    (Farmer and Stock-raiser, Section 4, Post-office, Mooresville).

    One of the very first settlers in Howard county, Mo., - indeed one whose biography goes back to the earliest settlement of the State, - was John Tomlin, the father of the subject of this sketch. He was a Tennesseean by birth, and when that country was an uninhabited wilderness carried on a farm there, subsequently coming to Howard county. He afterwards died in Lexington in 1826. The maiden name of his wife was Hannah Cook, and at the time of her death, June 11, 1862, she had reached the ripe old age of 91 years. Twelve children resulted from their union: Mary, who married Urial Jackson, and she and her husband are both now deceased; Elizabeth wife of William Woolsey, also both now deceased; Lucinda married Thomas Field, arid both died in this county; William C. married Susan McCrary and resides at Warrensburg, Mo.; James B., now deceased, the maiden name of his wife being Lucy Howell; Nancy, the wife of Harvey Dillon, and she and her husband are both dead; Joshua J. married Nancy Powell and died in 1844; John L. married Millie Sisk and died in 1869; Christian S. married Alcey Hood and died in 1858; Deborah, who married Henry H. Gray, died in 1843, and her husband in 1846; Hannah died in infancy. Michael, the youngest of' the children, was born June 10, 1820, near Knoxville, in East Tennessee, and January 1, 1840, he was married to Miss Eliza N. Williams, and they were blessed with the following family: Susan H., died in infancy; Thomas A., born July 10, 1843, died in 1846; John W., born June 6, 1845, married Susan Engart, and has six children living; Joshua J. also died in infancy; Martha E. became the wife of S. A. Enyart; Juliet A. married Hiram Woolsey and died in 1876, leaving five children; Madalina P. is now Mrs. N. L. Reynolds and has two children living; Ida L., wife of Thomas G. Petree, and they have two children and Erin, the youngest, remains at home. In 1850 Mr. Tomlin went to California overland, but owing to failing health be returned by the Isthmus of Panama. May 5, 1861, his first wife died, and in 1863 he was married again, to Elizabeth Campbell, whose death occurred in 1872. His third marriage in 1878 was to Sarah C. Grimes, daughter of Emanuel Petree, and the widow of Henry C. Grimes. It should have been mentioned that the youngest child, referred to Erin, was by the second remarriage. Mr. Tomlin was one of the pioneer citizens of this county, and as such is well known, enjoying without limit unbounded respect and confidence, as shown in a feeble way by his election to the positions of treasurer and collector. He is now township treasurer. He was once elected to be a magistrate, but refused to serve.

    ALBERT VOORHES

    (Fruit Grower, Section 9, Post-office, Mooresville).

    Mr. Voorhes occupies an advanced position among the representative farmers of Mooresville township. He is an Eastern man by birth and bringing up, but has been a resident of this Western country for many years. Born in Ohio October 19, 1824, he was the son of Louis C. and Elmer Voorhes, whose maiden name was Day, both natives of New Jersey. The former tilled the soil in the State of his birth until removing to Ohio and afterwards resumed the same occupation there up to the time of his death in 1878; his wife died in 1856. Out of 14 children in their family, only five besides Albert are living: James, a farmer in Ohio; Robert, in Guernsey county, O.; William, in this county, married to Miss Jane Rounds, and they have three children, William, Rosa and Frank; Garret, in Illinois; Elizabeth Ellen, widow of Jonathan Shaman, now upon the old home place. Young Albert was early taught that industry was the only sure road success and so he learned the trade of hatter in Wheeling, W. Va., following it as a journeyman for several years and in this way visiting numerous cities and States of the Union. Settling permanently at McConnellsville, O., he was engaged in his chosen avocation until coming to Livingston county, Mo., in 1868. Since then he has been actively occupied in pursuing his adopted calling of fruit growing, an industry which has proven a source of benefit to the county and of good results to himself. Mr. Voorhes has been twice married; his first wife, formerly Miss Jane Cox, of Maryland, died in Ohio in 1848, leaving one daughter, Phebe Jane, afterwards the wife of William Lewis, of Pennsylvania; she died about 1866. In 1853 Mr. Voorhes married Miss Lydia Dennis, daughter of Philip Dennis, a native of the Keystone State. When quite young she had removed to Wheeling, W. Va., and was there reared. Mr. V. has held all the chairs in the I. O. O. F., with which he has long been associated.

    Table of Contents

    Previous Chapter

    Next Chapter

    Home